AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Windows 7 RTM coming out shortly I am looking at rebuilding. The question is, would it be better to install Windows Server 2008 instead?

I use my HTPC for storage of all my SD DVDs as well as CDs ripped to FLAC. I haven't begun the Blu ray route yet. One day I expect to and it will increase my storage requirements exponentially. So far I've been running Windows 7 and using Media Portal. Nothing is raided.....yet. My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H. My video card is a 4670.

What are the pros and cons of Server vs. 7?

Can people who use Server share some experiences? Has compatibility been an issue?

I'm not worried about the cost. Stability is important. This device will only be used as a media server; music and movies.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
If the machine is only being used as a storage server (not frontend htpc to play videos), then I would recommend server 2008 for stability.

If the machine is going to be used as a HTPC used to play videos, etc, then definitely W7. It has built-in codec support, 7MC, etc. server 2008 does not.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I could play the movies and music through my PS3 media player and host it all on the Server but I think I'll keep playing them through Media Portal so that rules out Server '08. Thanks for the help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.