AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently redid my HTPC and put Windows 7 (32bit) on it and it's having several strange issues. The most annoying is the fact that it will not detect my Samsung HL-T6187S unless the monitor I was using when I set it up is plugged in.

When I was setting up the HTPC I was using a Dell 20" S2009W which is detects as Display 1. I have an Asus 8600GT, and I use the breakout cable to connect the computer to my TV via Component cables (high quality cables).

Usually when I'm done with the HTPC, I can just unhook the monitor and the TV is set as the main display and everything is fine. However, that is not the case this time. If I unhook the monitor I can see the computer POST on the TV, but when windows starts I get the "No Signal" on the TV. The computer does boot all the way, I can connect to it with Remote Desktop and see it up. If I check the displays it does not detect any display at all. I tried to force TV detection several times and that did not help. So, now I have the monitor connected (not even plugged in, just the DVI cable connected) so that the TV is detected.

Any suggestions on what the issue is, and how I might correct it? I have the latest nVidia drivers, and tried to mess around in there and couldn't find anything to help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
It is possible that the Denon is causing the problem. Make sure you do not have the problem with it bypassed and then try using it again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had this very problem with my 6600 GS video card. I was using the component video output on my Toshiba TV and every time I disconnected the monitor from the HTPC the connection to the TV disappeared.

I don't know why this happens but this is what I did to fix it.

You need to trick your PC into thinking there's a monitor connected. You can do this with a monitor terminator which can be easily made if you have soldering skills. I'm not sure if you can buy one.

Get a 15 pin monitor connector and some resistors from rat shack and make a VGA terminator.

Connect 75 Ohm resistors between the following three pairs of pins:

1 and 6

2 and 7

3 and 8

Connect 600 Ohm resistors between the following two pairs of pins:

10 and 13

10 and 14

I couldnt find 75 or 600 ohm resistors at radioshack so I had to use a variation of different resistors.

This has worked for the last couple months. I recently upgraded TV's so I no longer need my terminator.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimre /forum/post/18307143

Sounds similar to a problem I just solved:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1234565

The solution for my problem was simply the very latest Nvidia drivers (196.21). They apparently fixed some bugs with plug-n-play detection of analog monitors under Win7.

That was one of the first things I did when I had the issue, upgrade the drivers. I have 196.21 installed already, and tried the force detection of the TV with no luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18306437

It is possible that the Denon is causing the problem. Make sure you do not have the problem with it bypassed and then try using it again.

The Denon only runs Audio for the HTPC, no video, so I know it is not the issue here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randymg /forum/post/18307094

I was having this same problem with my 8400GS when I switched to Windows 7. Then I found a utility called W7ToggleDisplay that forces the primary display to my TV on the component output. It's been working fine since. See this thread - http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/78513.aspx

Thanks, I will check that out and report back!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Downloaded the w7ToggleDisplay and ran it. It appeared to do something, but my displays said they were still the same. I rebooted and the same. However... I then disconnected the Dell monitor and the TV stayed on. Rebooted and it came back!

Thanks randymg! Still no idea what was going on, but it's fixed and that's really all I care about

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well I hope it continues to work for you. I fought this problem for days, wish I had known about w7ToggleDisplay 2 months ago.

If you have any future problems PM me, I'll send you this terminator that I made since I no longer need it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts