AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a windows 8.1 PC with a GTx 680 card connected to an Onkyo receiver via HDMI. When I watch a movie, it displays the sound codec/ bitstreams, whether it be Dolby, DTS, ETC. The Windows 8 Netflix app does this.
When I'm watching say live sports or anything on a windows 8 video app such as CBS, the receiver displays multichannel 7.1. Is there a way to display the sound codec or at least find out what the broadcasted sound is, whether its Dolby 5.1, etc.?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a windows 8.1 PC with a GTx 680 card connected to an Onkyo receiver via HDMI. When I watch a movie, it displays the sound codec/ bitstreams, whether it be Dolby, DTS, ETC. The Windows 8 Netflix app does this.
When I'm watching say live sports or anything on a windows 8 video app such as CBS, the receiver displays multichannel 7.1. Is there a way to display the sound codec or at least find out what the broadcasted sound is, whether its Dolby 5.1, etc.?
its most likely just stereo sound - but since you have your soundcard (videocard) setup to 7.1, thats what the receiver will display. I always leave my htpc in stereo in the audio setup menu - this way the dolby, dts etc play the way they should and i can allow my receiver to take in a stereo signal properly and process it using dolby plii

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. So if I set up the sound in windows as stereo instead of 7.1, if the video feed is 5.1, the receiver will play in 5.1?

·
Registered
324 Posts
For the most part yes. The only codec I know of that wont do that is AAC, but you shouldnt run into that using win8 apps. Itll either be in stereo or have the dolby codec. Hope this makes sense!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I changed it to stereo from 7.1. This is in playback devices for sound and speaker configuration for my device. When I do this, it changes the input sound to 2.0 and my receiver just upconverts it. The receiver displays plii, pcm 2.0 is the input. I think it sounds better when speaker config is 7.1.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Some like the prologic, some dont. I like it simply because it puts speech out the center channel and adds a little ambience in the surrounds.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the pro logic, but when I change the speaker setup to stereo, it shows onput 2.0 pcm, output 7.1. The receiver converts it. When using the Netflix app, whether stereo or 7.1, it bitstreams the untouched Dolby + sound track. What this basically means is for ex: when watching a cable channel broadcasted in 5.1 Dolby, it shows the input as Dolby as 5.1. When watching the same programming on the Internet, you don't get the broadcasted 5.1 Dolby track.

I'm trying to cut my cord on cable, but don't want to take a step back in quality.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts