AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

windows 9 trailers

643 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  trbarry 
#1 ·
I have a intel 2.4 cpu and 512mb memory with a r9500pro video card,

Should I be able to play the trailers that are 720p? For the life of me I can't get any of them to play smooth. Tried with of course WMP9 and then in zoom player, both very very choppy. Also when I play them nothing else is running in windows.

I would like to see them to see the pq of 720p :)

Anything I should check for ?

Thanks all

Brian

#2 ·
is that ddr or rdram? ddr for p4's suck iirc.

otherwise 2.4 is more then fast enough for 720p, I have heard of people runnign it fine on athlon 1600s. What OS? you got directx9 installed? try updating to the latest video drivers. do you have multiple monitors on this machine? (if so turn all but one of htem off and try again).

#3 ·
1) Turn on fast writes for your AGP card (in the BIOS). Powerstrip will tell you if it is enabled or not.

2) Make sure your AGP card is set to the fastest transfer speed 4X or greater (in the BIOS).

3) Make sure your hard drives are running in the highest UDMA mode for your system (Device Manager/IDE controllers)

Basically there are lots of bottlenecks in the system. What's the average processor utilization during playback?

#4 ·
sorry,

memory is samsung 512Mb PC-2700 333MHz

I do have XP sp1 with directx9 with cat 3.2 for the radeon.

The card is running now at 4x but i can up it to 8x(never tried)

The hard drives are set to auto udma mode...

During play back the cpy hits 100%

I only have my pj hooked up to the htpc using default monitor driver.

one small thing, when it does play a bit I do notice some small I guess you can say digital noise? maybe a small light darkish snow over the picture? I see this alot on dvd's too. could this be removed or is it always going to be there ?

Thx for the fast replys

Brian

#7 ·
The wm9 trailers are smooth on my system:

SystemBoard: Abit BH6

Processor: Celeron 1.4ghz (NOT overclocked)

Memory: PC100 384mb

Graphics: ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 128mb

Sound: Creative Audigy 2

Display: Samsung SyncMaster 172W DVI

Observation on my system is that any player but WMP9 can playback these clips smoothly, just without *.wma 5.1 ( I have a 2.1 setup, so i don't care :) )

#9 ·
Ok I tried playing it with zoom player pro w/ sonic 1.5 without ffdshow...

It played back very smooth ! was great !

But when it played back it was in media mode, Not sure if that mattered thou.

Going to search down a 1080p now and see if that plays good.

Thx

Brian

#11 ·
I too was surprised when my P4 1.9ghz with 256 rdram system (i850 chipset) worked flawlessly on any of the demos on MS's website. I use XP Pro with basically all non-crucial services running. And this is with wmp9.

#12 ·
On a freshly installed XP system with no ATI driver downloads I get some strange ghosting, like some weird looking fractal-like macro blocks.

This is on a 2.4 Ghz P4 with 768 MB rdram memory and a Radeon LE card. I don't know if the Radeon LE supports fast writes.

This does not occur on WM9 material I encode myself.

- Tom

edit: Before I go all crazy installing new stuff, I'm currently running DirectX 8.1 and the Radeon drivers from my XP CD. Anybody know if an update to either of these is required to play wmv files. I can play WM9 files in avi's just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.