AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has been touched on before, in fact I recall an old thread questioning building a false wall in front of a sliding glass door, and I vaguely recall the resulting advice was "you'll blow the door right out of the wall". :D

That said, I'm looking at several new construction houses with "bonus rooms" that I plan to convert into a dedicated theater with a manifold IB sub behind a false wall. Run of the mill 4x Fi 18" in two manifolds of two each is the plan, and then mount the screen above the openings on the same wall.

I'm downselecting from a half-dozen or so floor plans right now, but my #1 concern is that every single house has windows behind where the false wall would go. I'm looking for advice on whether this is OK, or whether I should do something to protect the window (pack with insulation and cover the opening from the inside?) or even ask the builder to not install the windows (which they may not agree to, and would hurt resale value).

I've attached .jpgs of what I consider my top 3 options right now. #1 and #2 are the exact same house, with a bonus room above the garage. The only difference is that #1 sits on top of a 3-car garage and is a little larger, but it also has more windows in the room that get in the way. One in particular (see the graphic) won't let me build the false wall out more than ~3 ft., limiting the IB cavity volume. Option #2 is a slightly smaller room, but I could push the IB cavity out farther from the wall if required. Option #3 is a whole different house with a "loft" that would have to be enclosed into a theater room, as I've depicted. It has a ton of room on bottom for building an IB cavity, but again windows behind the false wall.

In all 3 cases my rough volume calculations show me very close to 10x VAS (not accounting for the manifold boxes themselves), and option #2 and #3 could even be enlarged, though I don't see any ned for that. My main question is whether I should be afraid of damaging the windows in an installation such as this, or is my cavity large enough to absorb the energy of the backwave? Having read stories of people's drywall flexing by 1/2" I can't imagine that's good for a sheet of glass, but a larger cavity should help by lowering the overall pressure?

Any advice (especially from experience - if anyone's done this before) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts