AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else install this yet?

Microsoft Security Essentials Home Beta

According to Wikipedia, Windows Defender is being discontinued at the end of summer 2009 and being replaced with this. My daughter's laptop needed to be rebuilt (glut and spyware). I decided to load Windows 7 RC 32 on it to see how it would handle it (which it does quite well). It is a DV4307CL (HP Pavillion DV4000) in case anyone is wondering. I thought I would try it out on her as I will be wiping it in October when the Retail comes so it will give me a trial. I also load office 2007 home trial as well.

I tried Windows Defender, but my Spyware Terminator and ClamAV seemed to catch more, but this new one seems pretty good as far as features and ease of use. It also doesn't seem to lag the computer much even with it set as active which many do.

The download on the MS page doesn't work now, but you can download the beta from softpedia is you do a search.

It has a setting that scan removable media which I am most interested in. I think her last attack was from an infected flash drive.

·
Registered
417 Posts
MSE is based on the Forefront signatures (MS's enterprise malware utility), so the detection rates are fairly decent. As far as free a/v programs go, it should be hard to beat when the final version is released.

That said, it is still in beta, and not ready for prime time. I've been in the beta program since day one, and I can tell you there are a number of bugs (more in the XP version, but the Vista/7 version is not without its share). I wouldn't give this program to someone who's not used to working with beta software, which I'm guessing is the case with your daughter. For technical folks like us, it's an okay choice right now.

I'd say go with something else for your daughter right now, and revisit MSE when the final version is released (scheduled for October, when Win7 goes on sale).

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I jumped on the beta and am extremely pleased with the product. Surprise doesn't describe my reaction when Steve Gibson, on his TWiT Live podcast this week, stated it was the best yet, and that he would install it on his Windows PCs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.