AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Windows 7 PC with an NVidia GTX 580 graphics card connected to an Onkyo TX-NR809 receiver. In the Supported Formats section of the HDMI audio device settings DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD are not listed, ony Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS.

I suspect this could be the cause of why movies with either codec won't play well in XBMC unless I disable the HD formats in Settings.

Anyone running a setup like this have the HD codecs working in Windows? I have XBMC working almost perfectly now, this is the only issue remaining.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23  /t/1522565/windows-doesnt-list-hd-codes-as-supported-formats/0_100#post_24483036

I have a Windows 7 PC with an NVidia GTX 580 graphics card connected to an Onkyo TX-NR809 receiver. In the Supported Formats section of the HDMI audio device settings DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD are not listed, ony Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS.

I suspect this could be the cause of why movies with either codec won't play well in XBMC unless I disable the HD formats in Settings.

Anyone running a setup like this have the HD codecs working in Windows? I have XBMC working almost perfectly now, this is the only issue remaining.

I have DTS-HD and TrueHD enable on mine and it works. I don't have an Nvidia card and I don't use XBMC though. This usually is dependent on your AVR receiver as well from my experience but an 800 series Onkyo I would guess to be ok. I have a Denon AVR3312 that's relatively the same thing.

Try doing this: (in windows 7)

Click on the bottom right your volume control Right click it and open up "playback devices"

Then choose your HDMI audio and configure. Right click it and choose "properties" and check your settings for "advanced"

Are you stuck on 16bit audio ? Set that for as high as your AVR will allow and try again. This got me a couple times before.

something like DTS-HD MA supports variable bit rates up to 24.5 Mbit/s on a Blu-ray Disc and up to 18.0 Mbit/s for HD DVD, with up to 6 channels encoded at up to 192 kHz or 8 channels encoded at 96 kHz/24 bit. You will need to have those settings enabled for full support.

·
Registered
524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23  /t/1522565/windows-doesnt-list-hd-codes-as-supported-formats#post_24484195

Actually I'm reading that this card might not support HD codecs after all.

It will do it PCM but that card doesnt appear to bitstream Dolby HD or DTS MA according to some reviews online.......

What does your AVR display for audio when receiving a signal from the card?

Toys

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys7505  /t/1522565/windows-doesnt-list-hd-codes-as-supported-formats#post_24484415

It will do it PCM but that card doesnt appear to bitstream Dolby HD or DTS MA according to some reviews online.......

What does your AVR display for audio when receiving a signal from the card?

Toys

It has trouble showing anything. The movies start playing at less than 1 frame per second and the AVR usually never shows any audio input at that time. I believe I might have seen DTS-HD MA appear once but whenever HD audio is enabled the video are unwatchable. Disabling HD codes in XBMC makes them play smoothly.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Yes - there was a previous discussion about the capabilities of that particular card - general consensus was that it didn't bitstream HD Audio. Unfortunately whilst the card may be able to fully pass PCM, you won't get fully decoded DTS-HD from xbmc, only core DTS. Though it is capable of decoding TrueHD and sending full audio through PCM. If you want to use an external player it can be achieved in xbmc, just not using its own proprietary codec set.

Some of the other front-end solutions and players (Media Portal, mpc-hc, WMC) are all able, with LAV filters and a dtsdecoderdll.dll (google it) file to correctly decode DTS-HD and pass as PCM to your receiver.

·
Registered
494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23  /t/1522565/windows-doesnt-list-hd-codes-as-supported-formats#post_24484453

It has trouble showing anything. The movies start playing at less than 1 frame per second and the AVR usually never shows any audio input at that time. I believe I might have seen DTS-HD MA appear once but whenever HD audio is enabled the video are unwatchable. Disabling HD codes in XBMC makes them play smoothly.
The video issue is normal when you try to bitstream something you can't bitstream.. I saw the same thing when I had the LAV bitream options enabled while Windows wasn't reporting it as a supported format via HDMI audio. This isn't indicative of any other issue than you are trying to do something you can't do.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisb  /t/1522565/windows-doesnt-list-hd-codes-as-supported-formats#post_24495699

The video issue is normal when you try to bitstream something you can't bitstream.. I saw the same thing when I had the LAV bitream options enabled while Windows wasn't reporting it as a supported format via HDMI audio. This isn't indicative of any other issue than you are trying to do something you can't do.

Yeah, it turns out I was mistaken in thinking this card could bitstream HD codecs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts