AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been paying Qwest 17.00 p/m for windows live on my DSL and I honestly dont know if I need it.

What I'm trying to do is free up some $$ for a faster DSL speed (for streaming video).

I dont use MSN in any way -- Firefox (I avoid IE like the plague)-- Avast for security -- Email is through my business account.

I've looked around a bit, but cant seem to find a definate reason to keep it, other than convenience given the above.

I asked Qwest a couple years ago, and got a round-a-bout answer. I'm sure they dont want to lose the $200 per year on the account, so I cant really trust the accuracy of the answer from them.

Am I missing something important by getting rid of Windows Live?

·
Registered
312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd /forum/post/19544748

o_O I'm more surprised that you actually have to pay for that when it's basically free for download...

Well, the "Windows Live Essentials" suite of software for PCs running Windows is free for download.

But then again, the online "Windows Live Services" (including Skydrive, online Photo storage and Hotmail) are also free.

So I'm not clear as to why someone should be paying $17 per month for free online services...

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Aren`t these thing free? I have Live mail account, with Live mess, Skydrive etc., all for free. What are you paying for exactly?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd /forum/post/19544748

o_O I'm more surprised that you actually have to pay for that when it's basically free for download...

Yeah, I found the note buried down in my statement. xx.00 DSL + 16.99 Windows Live.

The price hasnt changed in 7 years and I started looking closer. Lowering a bill, I'm sure, would be 'against company policy'

I was talking to a rep about speeds (before I checked into this) and she ended the conversation with " We would like to thank you for being a Qwest customer for 35 years and 2 months......"

Sounds like they may be thanking me if I have allowed them to poke me for so long

If this is the case, I'm the first one to kick myself in the butt and say "shame on me"

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I think you got screwed over a bit, Live services are free and have been for as long as i can remember.

·
Registered
312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez /forum/post/19544851

I think you got screwed over a bit.

GreenEyez, I think you have just achieved the status of Master of Understatement.

On the face of it, if I were ExToker, I would be as angry as hell...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your help gang.

I think its time for a face to face with a Qwest rep, versus a polite phone call. You are correct gcoupe, I'm now mad as hell about this.

Its almost as if there is a script somewhere for their CSR's regarding us 'old customers'. I questioned this twice in the past to Qwest but rolled over each time on the canned explanation.

My computer ID seems to be 'locked in' to their system, so all I could get is my 'special pricing with bundle discount' in order to check pricing.

So I got on another computer to 'shop' their services for new customers, entering a bogus local address. Excluding promos, the price was difference was absolutely rediculous. In addition, this includes them way overpricing my phone service.

It seems I have indeed been getting hosed for quite a while now..

Enough so that I should be able to go from 1.5mbs to 7mbs DSL and still (almost) pay for my new Oppo BDP-93 with the savings in a year!

Looks like a audit of all my old bills are in order.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Wow, I can't believe they have the gall to charge for Windows Live. Maybe it's not in fact the Live Essentials or even other Live services.

The Live services are good, especially now. Skydrive is MS' ace in the hole, although they never seem to put much effort into marketing it (much like the MC functionality).

Perhaps the Live you are getting gives you Office Live? That's not free, but if you have MS Office 2010 you can get it. That may be worth SOMETHING, but not $200 a year by far.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, a face to face this morning wasnt going to happen, or for that matter ever going to happen unless I want to fly to Denver.

I called and pointed out the charges to the csr. She stumbled with a lot of ummms, and directed me to the 'customer loyalty' department. It was then explained to me that MS was the provider to Qwest and the wording on the statement was poorly written. The charge was not for Live but noted the provider(MS)

hmmmmm. Then I got the "I'm glad you called' line.

Once in the system I guess old customers are supposed to constantly call and monitor price decreases to claim them. Otherwise the system will continue to bill at the previous rate until it is manually adjusted by a representative. That part is BS.

I literally have been locked in to the DSL rates from 8 years ago. She mentioned that I should have been getting emails advising me of the changes and that I should have called....uh-huh.

Bottom line, where it stands right now, is that my speed has increased from 1.5 to 12mbps, one free month, my bill $$ amount will be unchanged. I will play hell with them trying to get any money back though, since they have a monopoly of this area. Corporate America at its finest.

Personally I feel like I got the rep in the department with the best defusing skills, at which she was very good. (I'd hire her in a heartbeat)

Live and learn. I can strongly advise members here with Qwest to call and check rates available to you. Online ordering doesnt work as it uses your existing plan to dictate all future price structures.

They certainly wont volunteer them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts