AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Well, I finally took the plunge into the HTPC world. I bought a PVR-150, installed it and got it working. Great, right? Well, I really want to use MCE, and the PVR-150 remote doesn't control MCE. So, long story short, I returned the PVR-150, bought a PVR-500 for the same price, and bought a Microsoft remote.

Now, when I go to watch Live TV, the system hangs for about 1 minute. During this time, I hear audio, which skips, but no video. When the TV finally comes up, it seems to play alright, but when I go to switch channels (either with a mouse or a remote), it takes 10+ seconds for the channel to change. When I finally get to task manager, the ehshell and ehrecvr processes are combined to nearly 100% of the processor time, with ehshell taking the lions share.

Please note: the above did NOT occur with the PVR-150. At the time I bought the 500, my brother was so impressed with the 150, that he bought a 500 as well. His system is running fine.

I have tried reloading the video drivers, the capture drivers, the decoder (WinDVD7) and I even did a fresh MCE install (formatted hd). Can anyone think of why this is happening? Any suggestions?

Thanks, in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Processor: P4 1.8 GhZ

Memory: 512MB

Vid Card: Radeon 9550

Cap Card: Hauppauge PVR-500 MCE

Sound: Onboard

Just as a note, I downloaded a 3rd party software (Intervideo Home Theatre) to test, and everything works like a dream - this is definitely a Windows MCE thing.

I have service packed MCE, run the roll-up patch, and tried a variety of things. Still consuming all of my resources.

I suppose I can buy and run the Intervideo software, but I thought MCE would take care of this.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
There are better option then InterVideo Home Theater and wasn't ware that could even make use the any Hardware MPEG2 Encoder card.

SageTV

BeyondTV

GB-PVR

·
Registered
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TombstoneDW
Hello all. Well, I finally took the plunge into the HTPC world. I bought a PVR-150, installed it and got it working. Great, right? Well, I really want to use MCE, and the PVR-150 remote doesn't control MCE. So, long story short, I returned the PVR-150, bought a PVR-500 for the same price, and bought a Microsoft remote.
The PVR-150 will work fine with a Microsoft remote. The PVR-150MCE is simply a 150 without its own remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombstoneDW
I have tried reloading the video drivers, the capture drivers, the decoder (WinDVD7) and I even did a fresh MCE install (formatted hd). Can anyone think of why this is happening? Any suggestions?
Have you tried other decoders? Try a trial version of NVidia decoders and see what happens. (Amazing, Intervideo Home Theater worked "like a dream" with Intervideo decoders!) You said your brother's setup was working fine so it must be something specific to yours.

Cheers,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.