AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe most people aren't very interested but for me, a large part of my HTPC revolves around playing compressed movies and songs.

So I've seen a few threads before but nothing very substantive. I had played around with the command line utility (wm8eutil) but found it rather a pain to use. It also only accepted raw avi and .wavs and had trouble with batches or encoded files. It would also flip my DivXs over http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif (but thats an error with the DivX codec).

Anyway, I see the newly released Windows Media 7.1 Encoder has support for WM8 codecs (audio and video.) They appear to be extremely fast and very well tuned compared to other favs out there now, mp3 and Divx (old MPEG4.) The 64kbps that they tout as CD quality is indistinguishable to me vs. 192kbps MP3s from BladeEnc. I'm playing this through my Kenwood VR409 via coaxial digital output from my Game Theater. While it isn't a high end receiver and they speakers aren't great, it isn't exactly your run of the mill crappy computer speakers.

As for the video, using VBR you can get a 500kbps movie to look like a 900kbps Divx (IMHO.) This of course yields something about 55% of the original size.

Then there's also the speed. Encoding an MP3 (not a raw .wav!) took me about 30 seconds a song. Right now I'm encoding a movie at about 20fps. With Flaskmpeg I would get about 10fps to Divx. This is on an Athlon 1.2Ghz (266Mhz bus) with 512mb of PC133.

I'm pretty impressed. It might not be open-source, but it is all extremely free and well written. So far to me it looks like it beats the free alternatives (Oog Vorbis and OpenDivx) pretty handily.

------------------

Cal Z.

Mits 65903 (65" widescreen HDTV)+ RCA DTC-100

and

Gateway Destination 27" (Princeton Arcadia based)+HTPC (Pentium II 400, 256mb, 20gb+9gb HD, Radeon LE, cybertainment tv tuner, asus dvd-rom, hercules game theater xp, Kenwood VR409 DTS receiver)

[email protected]

·
Registered
108 Posts
In my experience, you have to use WMP7 to play WM8 format and there ain't no way I'm using that piece of junk. I'm sticking with WMP6.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never upgraded to 7...6.4 that came with Win2k downloaded the codec and thats what I watch with usually.

------------------

Cal Z.

and

Gateway Destination 27" (Princeton Arcadia based)+HTPC (Pentium II 400, 256mb, 20gb+9gb HD, Radeon LE, cybertainment tv tuner, asus dvd-rom, hercules game theater xp, Kenwood VR409 DTS receiver)

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
ok, so now you have me thinking. i am a true beginner when it comes to encoding but it is time to dig in. i have read all the stuff on media encoder 7.1 and 8 and have it downloaded and have started playing with it. i do a lot of videoconferencing and i want to use it to stream video to sites that do not have conferencing. what is not clear is what type of capture card to use for real time streaming that might also be good for encoded stuff i have captured on my directtivo. usoft pushes the osprey but i have no idea if the quality is any good. i have a wintv that i could play with if it works but it says it needs a wdm capable driver and i dont know if wintv is compatible. if i knew of a good capture card that would create raw mpg's as well as working with this encoder for real time broadcasts i would buy it (and expense it!). any ideas?

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Why does he shake hands with that guy right after he sexed the alligator

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really haven't used it much for real-time encoding...mostly conversion of files from other formats (MPEG2, MPEG4.)

I'm going to be sticking a TV tuner card into my hefty PC to try that out sometime. My HTPC isn't nearly powerful enough (PII 400) to do any sort of real-time encoding.

The only test I've run is decompression/recompression of a Divx/MPEG4 to WM8 (MPEG4 v.2?) On my Athlon 1.2ghz with 512MB and IDE RAID, it said 23fps on a 24fps film, but it took about twice as long as the length of the movie. It was NOT doing deinterlacing or inverse telecine as I had done that before.

If I was going to test if it could handle real-time, it obviously wouldn't need to decompress the video as it went, which would be a hit to the speed.

I would also try using VirtualDub and seeing if you could get it to use the WM8's codecs. The code in that is probably tighter.

------------------

Cal Z.

and

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Namlemez (edited 06-03-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.