AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time I've tried to use a dvd in my pc. I had to update my region to united states because it was not set to anything. Now I get an error saying that wmc cannot play the dvd. restart wmc and try again. I've tried multiple dvd's to no avail. Windows explorer shows the dvd title but WMC only gives me a black screen with all options greyed out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To make this even wierder, I downloaded a free trial of powerdvd and it played my dvd. When I closed out and opened Windows Media Player again, it worked! That is until I put a different dvd in and back to square one. I put the original dvd back in and it wouldn't work again. It seems that powerdvd did something to let WMP to read the dvd but I don't know what.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
what os are you trying this on?

only certain versions vista and win 7 include dvd decoders. in xp, you need to install decoders (like pdvd or nvidia's dvd decoders) in order to play dvds in media player.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesin31
I have windows 7 64 bit
Windows 7 Media Center & Media Player can play DVDs out-of-the-box.

I believe you are using Windows Media Player and not Media Center.

Try Media Center and see if it works.

Although, WMP should play DVDs too; it does on my laptops without any additional player/codecs installed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.