AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Are there any cards that provide a true Plug and Play experience for Windows Media Center 2005? I'd be very interested to hear people's experiences. I just ordered the WMC 2005 remote for my HTPC and would like to add in a couple of HDTV tuners.

I'm using OTA antenna's at the moment, but plan on adding HD Via Comcast down the road.

Thanks,

Vidkidd

· Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by alexan07
I think WMC 2005 only supports OTA HDTV.
It's not just an MCE resctriction though, I don't believe there are any tuner cards yet that can take anything but OTA.

· Registered
9,884 Posts
The Fusion F3Q card supports Comcast unencrypted QAM.

- Tom

· Registered
425 Posts
So will MyHD-120 card work with WMC 2005?

· Registered
425 Posts
johnand,

I just did

Thxs for the link :cool:

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by trbarry
The Fusion F3Q card supports Comcast unencrypted QAM.

- Tom

Hey Tom

How stable is the Fusion solution?

I'm basically looking for reliability and a "set it and forget it" solution. My Sony XBR950 has a built in tuner, so my main purpose will be to use my HTPC with MCE 2005 as a HDPVR.

It looks like the Fusion QAM and ATI HDTV wonder are the most popular solutions at AVS. I'm really looking for a plug and play solution. There are a lot of shows I'd like to start recording as it's seems I'm never home when they are on.

Im running an NVidia 5900xt, it shouldn;t make a difference with an ATI product, but one never knows.

Thanks,

Vidkidd

· Registered
6,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vidkidd
It looks like the Fusion QAM and ATI HDTV wonder are the most popular solutions at AVS.
I'm not sure why you think that. The ATI has not been out that long, so I doubt it's that "popular" in total numbers (as opposed to total posts). It probably has a high post count due to being "problematic."

I just bought a Fusion to be a second card to my MyHD card, and I'm rather underwhelmed with the number of people posting here regarding it (although that's partially because Cliff doesn't seem to take an active role in the Fusion forum).

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Karyak...

So the question is... How reliable is the Fusion in the MCE 2005? I'm not set on any card yet but the QAM feature on the Fusion is something I'd like to plan for as once winter hits in Seattle, my OTA reliabilty drops with the rain and wind.

Thx,

Vidkidd

· Registered
9,884 Posts
I don't think the F3Q is all that reliable yet. Though I have not put up the last couple of software releases due to other comments posted, and a lack of time to play with it.

- Tom

· Registered
6,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vidkidd
Hey Karyak...

So the question is... How reliable is the Fusion in the MCE 2005? I'm not set on any card yet but the QAM feature on the Fusion is something I'd like to plan for as once winter hits in Seattle, my OTA reliabilty drops with the rain and wind.

Thx,

Vidkidd
I haven't had the card long enough to determine how reliable it is in XP SP2, and only used it for QAM for about an hour.

I don't have MCE, but was reading about it to determine whether it's worth it. Since it requires an SD tuner, I don't think I'll be trying it for some time.

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fusion may be an option if MCE uses it's own software for recording, scheduling and playback. I'd like to be able to record everything on the PC through MCE and avoid a Comcast box with Firewire.

Thx,

Vidkidd

· Registered
124 Posts
*EDIT* Found out my answer to most of what I had originally posted. Updated questions:

1. Will the NVidia Personal Cinema FX5700 work with the MCE 2005?

2. Will a card with both hardware encoding/decoding work with MCE 2005, such as the WinTV-PVR-350?

3. Will question #1 and a DVICO Fusion-HDTV3-T play nice together in MCE 2005?

4. I also understand the DVICO Fusion-HDTV3-T wont work by itself with a regular video card in MCE 2005 or has this been overcome as of yet?

TIA - DT.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.