AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got home, where all our TVs are connected to computers running windows 7 along with the HD Homerun prime. Yesterday I turned on every tv and WMC is only pulling listings for the local channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc) but not for the cable channels. If I tune to a cable channel, it works fine, but there is no EPG data.

So naturally I reset windows media center and re-ran DCA and Live TV setup. didnt work, it keeps showing this screen:

I'm out of ideas and sorta panicking. Help??

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
I had the same thing happen. I used Media Center Reset Toolbox and used one of those tools to pull the guide. I also did a reset like you did (then used Guide Tool to restore my custom channels). I'm not sure if it is downloading or not, but it did get the latest data.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay well I tried both options, neither worked at first but I kept trying to reset the zipcode, and now the guide updated on one TV (I only tried one so far). But it still gave me that error that the guide data couldn't be downloaded, even though it was. Now I'm scared to update the guide again in case it loses it.

I have since disabled all windows updates. I only use these computers to watch tv so its not like I'm going or run malicious software. But did this happen because of a windows update or is it going to lose guide data again in a week? Should I clean install windows, and disable all the updates?

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Honestly, I don't know why this happened to me. The guide went AWOL on Monday, but the update occurred the previous end of week. So last Saturday & Sunday, it was fine.

The guide continues to receive data will no issues thus far. Under Setting (inside MC), the end date for the listings is Mar 20. Whatever caused the outage, it seems to have been temporary. Don't go thru the hassle of doing a clean install, it may not be necessary.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the host file/DNS issue worked only after I also applied the media center reset thing. but now everything seems to be okay for the time being.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
There is no need to fix DNS problem. Microsoft simply waited it out. A DNS change typically take a week or more to propagate through out the internet. That's how DNS works.

I can confirm that I no longer need the host file hack to work around the DNS quite a while back. Since then, there was one or more outage due to other issues.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
There is no need to fix DNS problem. Microsoft simply waited it out. A DNS change typically take a week or more to propagate through out the internet. That's how DNS works.

I can confirm that I no longer need the host file hack to work around the DNS quite a while back. Since then, there was one or more outage due to other issues.
I dunno, many people were discovering and applying the host file fix months after the first Sept 11,2014 thread began. And nobody over at GB is shouting from the mountain that the host file fix is no longer needed. Guess I will have to try changing mine back for myself but it isn't working (normally) for at least one person-

"...I still have the hosts file changes in place, I periodically remove them and try to connect, but it always gives errors for me."

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?p=87041#p87041

·
Registered
617 Posts
Obviously it needed to be fixed somewhere (since it was broken, possibly not by Microsoft then). I did think people at TGB said they no longer needed the host file modification, but I guess not.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this is aburd, i have to go around and fix every single computer around the house now. I think i may explore going to XBMC

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
For wmc, you need to send a complaint o the EPG guys at Microsoft. They do listen and fix many issues.

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145

And yes, guide data runs out several times a year for me - when it gets low, it's usually with a pile of complaints at that site.

Even very localized problems - down to a city you can find complaints and possible fixes.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
WMC is not supported or available in Win 10 Preview ( I'm using that on this PC ) I'm not sure how long it will be supported in win 7 and 8x hopefully until EOL for those products. Edit : it may or may not be in final W10 version

edit : comment removed .

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
WMC is not supported or available in Win 10 ( I'm using that on this PC )
That's still being debatable. Until you are running final retail release version of Win10, you can't say that for sure. The pre-release OS always only contains portion of the features in finally release, not all.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Obviously it needed to be fixed somewhere (since it was broken, possibly not by Microsoft then). I did think people at TGB said they no longer needed the host file modification, but I guess not.

They changed the IP address of the guide server. The DNS change (from the same name to a different IP address) needs to be propagated from their end all the way up to the root server (Network Solutions for .COM) then propagate back to all levels of DNS on the internet. The entire process takes days to complete. In that period, you will get different results depending where you are and how long the name cache lasts.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Guide data running out is a common occurrence with WMC. There's usually a dedicated thread where you can report the outages over at TGB. AFAIK, no one has ever actually run out of guide data as Microsoft has usually caught it and fixed the problem before it occurred. My guide was only going out as far as 3/16 for several days until I did a manual download yesterday. Now it extends to the 20th, which is just about right since WMC usually on provides guide data up to 12 days in advance.

I've never had to apply any fixes to get guide data other than just being patient.

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
this is aburd, i have to go around and fix every single computer around the house now. I think i may explore going to XBMC
Why do you need more than one computer running WMC? And why do you have to fix anything? Just be patient and it will fix itself.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why do you need more than one computer running WMC? And why do you have to fix anything? Just be patient and it will fix itself.

I dont like going the xbox 360 route to watch TV. It takes longer to start up and navigate the interface. Plus, many of our tvs are not smart TVs and I want the ability to watch youtube, netflix and my own movie library at any location, so it made sense to get a bunch of Nucs and run windows/plex on it.

This guide issue never happened before. I've always had issues where the number of days till the guide runs out has happened, but never a situation where I was getting data for some channels, like the locals, but not for any of the cable channels. I was thinking maybe something went wrong with the cablecard.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts