AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried recording HDTV content from Windows Media Center to a ReadyNAS?

I'm spec'ing out a new Home Theater and like the idea of using a ReadyNAS as the storage central point for all my media - HDTV, SDTV, DVDs, Pictures, Music. Having recently seen a technology preview of the upcoming version of Windows Media Center (supposedly coming this fall) with PCIe CableCard Tuners for HDTV *finally* supported, this looks like the way to go. I'd like to use 2 tuners so I can watch and record simultaneously.

My question is - can the ReadyNAS realistically handle writing one HD stream while watching another? I've seen write performance numbers of about 11Mb/sec with write cache one/journaling off, but what happens when concurrent reads and writes are in the mix? Can the ReadyNAS really handle that?

Just curious before I go plunk down $2K on a chassis and 4 SATA drives... :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSee
My question is - can the ReadyNAS realistically handle writing one HD stream while watching another? I've seen write performance numbers of about 11Mb/sec with write cache one/journaling off, but what happens when concurrent reads and writes are in the mix? Can the ReadyNAS really handle that?
We've successfully played back 2 HD streams while writing one, and we've played back 4 HD streams with no frame drops. The only caveat is that with file size greater than 2GB, our performance slows to where you will get some frame drops, however there is a fix for that in test.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Hi TimSee!

Do you have more info on this MCE update?

Thanks, MoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSee
I'm spec'ing out a new Home Theater and like the idea of using a ReadyNAS as the storage central point for all my media - HDTV, SDTV, DVDs, Pictures, Music. Having recently seen a technology preview of the upcoming version of Windows Media Center (supposedly coming this fall) with PCIe CableCard Tuners for HDTV *finally* supported, this looks like the way to go. I'd like to use 2 tuners so I can watch and record simultaneously.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.