AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... I love the streaming idea. I have a few movies, music, etc and I want to stream it over my network. I seem to get less than reliable results though. Sometimes it works. Other times, it shuts off half way through a movie. Other times it just says it is not accessible. My receiving devices are varied. WD TV, LG Blu Ray player, Pioneer Blu Ray. They all seem to have similar results. I thought it was the devices, now I am not so sure.

Do I need to switch from WMP to another streamer? If so, is there a reliable alternative?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
858 Posts
The problem is DLNA the underlying system for streaming media, its a terrible standard if you can even call it that. Support for DLNA varies on each device and server all with their own quirks/bugs, plus on top of that as MPEG2, WMV, JPG, MP3 are the only mandated media formats by DLNA support for other media types is all over the place. A decent DLNA server must have device profiles to overcome those bugs and support transcoding so it can make media play that otherwise wouldn't, WMP is not particularly good at either of those tasks.

Try Serviio or Mezzmo they are considered they two best DLNA servers out there, you might get better results with them. As for the WDTV Live you don't even need to use DLNA with that, you can bypass that mess and read the network shares on the PC directly. LG also support this on some of their products.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330  /t/1417122/windows-media-player-and-all-streaming-devices-not-reliable#post_22160366

The problem is DLNA the underlying system for streaming media, its a terrible standard if you can even call it that. Support for DLNA varies on each device and server all with their own quirks/bugs, plus on top of that as MPEG2, WMV, JPG, MP3 are the only mandated media formats by DLNA support for other media types is all over the place. A decent DLNA server must have device profiles to overcome those bugs and support transcoding so it can make media play that otherwise wouldn't, WMP is not particularly good at either of those tasks.

Try Serviio or Mezzmo they are considered they two best DLNA servers out there, you might get better results with them. As for the WDTV Live you don't even need to use DLNA with that, you can bypass that mess and read the network shares on the PC directly. LG also support this on some of their products.

I concur!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane  /t/1417122/windows-media-player-and-all-streaming-devices-not-reliable#post_22160742

What are you streaming over? Wifi or gigabit?

I am streaming over gigabit. Wifi was just too unstable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts