AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks...I've looked around, including in the faq, and I don't see anything about this. I've also googled this question, and every solution I've found hasn't worked. So I'm hoping someone here can help.

I have uploaded a show from my 5080 to the pc with dvarchive. When I try to play it with windows media player (or any other mpeg2 player I can find) I get an error that it can't load the codec, and then I get sound but no video! This does the same thing when I try to play a dvd in windows media player, but dvds work okay in WinDVD.

Like I said, I've tried many different things, but still nothing. I have windows media player 9, by the way, with windows xp pro.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Ron

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
You need to view the Replay files in WinDVD :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know it is not the best player in the world but I can use realone player to view replaytv files.

I just checked and I can also play them with media player 7.0 (windows 2000) so I must have installed a codec somewhere that allows me to play them I am just not sure how to check that.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron
Hi folks...I've looked around, including in the faq, and I don't see anything about this. I've also googled this question, and every solution I've found hasn't worked. So I'm hoping someone here can help.

I have uploaded a show from my 5080 to the pc with dvarchive. When I try to play it with windows media player (or any other mpeg2 player I can find) I get an error that it can't load the codec, and then I get sound but no video! This does the same thing when I try to play a dvd in windows media player, but dvds work okay in WinDVD.

Like I said, I've tried many different things, but still nothing. I have windows media player 9, by the way, with windows xp pro.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Ron
I'll try to help here.

1st, if you have powerDVD, it works great on Replay files.

If you don't, I can use WMP9 successfully but I'm not sure where I got the codec that made it work; it may have downloaded automatically (I'm using WinXPpro also).

If not, you might try this .

This is a full set of video and audio codecs that decodes just about everything out there. It includes the FFDshow filter pack. Once I installed this, I haven't had a problem yet with a format.

This is normally used in conjunction with the Gordian Knot rip-pack for Divx/Xvid encoding. I don't see any reason you can't use it on it's own.

If I'm wrong, somebody chime in.

Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
 VideoLAN works well. And it is free.

The UI is a little klunky, but you don't have to worry about that if you play fullscreen.

This is also the only video player I have had any success with streaming from my replays through DVArchive.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by justbill_redux
1 word of caution on this link, the DL installed Gator as well as a Trojan, which my McAfee caught. If you dont need the Divx/Pro dont install it. Otherwise it fixed my problems with WMP9 not playing some files, thanks.
You're absolutely right justbill.

I forgot to include the following link

You can eliminate the Gator spyware with this. I use Adaware. It's taken care of my 'spyware' problems.

Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input everyone, I'll try the suggestions here and see what happens, when I get on that computer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When I tried WMP the video looked squashed from the sides, WMP doesn't maintain the 4:3 aspect ratio correctly - I have the winDVD codec installed. Also it downloads the whole file before starting playback.

Is there a way to get WMP to playback streamed video immediately?

Is there a way to configure WMP to give correct aspect ratio?

When I tried the VLC player it worked great for aspect ratio and playing back streamed video immediately, but moving the position slider has no effect. If this worked it would be perfect.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
WMP *is* giving the correct aspect ratio - you must be playing standard quality recordings. Medium and High will play correctly. Standard needs to be stretched to look normal, hence its inherent blockiness.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes I just got a new 5040 and am using standard quality until I can upgrade the disk.

When I use VLC the standard quality video is 4:3 aspect ratio so I thought it was some peculiarity of WMP.

I'll try WMP and a medium quality recording to see if that looks right.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I remember having this problem. I saw a forum post on sourceforge months back that answered my same question. If I remember correctly, Windows Media Player 9 has a bug that plays the standard quality ReplayTV MPEGs incorrectly (squashed). Simple solutions offered then are the same as now:

1. Use WinDVD, PowerDVD, or some alternate media player.

2. Record in Medium quality.

Also, it is worth mentioning that the docs for DVArchive also mention the tendency Windows Media Player has to download the entire clip before playing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.