AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been trying to setup my computer to work as a HTPC, but it seems like something has gotten messed up on me.

I thought that I recalled media player being able to play divx files as long as you installed the divx codec, but it now refuses for some reason. Am I remembering correctly? I tried using zoomplayer and it doesn't seem to like any divx or xvid files (not sure of other files, that's the only ones I've been trying lately), I tried removing all my codecs and reinstalling them 1 by 1 to see if maybe there was some conflict going on, but as far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be. GSpot tells me I have the codecs but then when I hit render has a directshow error VFW_E_UNSUPPORTED_STREAM, but yet I can play the file in the Divx Player, but nothing else it seems.

Anyone run into something like that before?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I used to have all sorts of problems playing back DivX files until I uninstalled DivX and installed ffdshow.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried just using the ffdshow codecs with everything else uninstalled and it still didn't work.

It seems like something got fundamentally messed up somehow, I thought for awhile it might be something strange going on with media player 9 so I uninstalled that and still no luck.

Possibly my system specs might have some glaring problem or combination problem:

Windows 2000, SP3

SB Live!

Geforce 4 Ti4600

Amd Barton processor

Programs/Codecs tried:

ffdshow

Divx 5.11

Divx 3

3ivx

Xvid

AC3filter

Windvd 5

Powerdvd

Zoomplayer std, and pro

Gspot

Divx 4 alpha

Divx audio

Media Player 9 and 6.4

Divx 5.11 Player (the only thing that seems to work)

I'd actually be ok with just the Divx Player working, except that I can't use ffdshow resize with it for some reason, when I turn resize on and play something in Divx Player it turns my cursor into a big block of transparent colors and the video looks messed up, the other filters seem to work in ffdshow and Divx player though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Which version of ffdshow are you using? Use the latest beta instead of the latest "stable" version. I think the latest beta is dated 5/something/2003. A few weeks ago, I had downloaded a beta dated 12/something/2003, but this version has since been pulled from Sourceforge. I don't know why. At any rate, I use both Windows Media Player (an old version, I don't know which one) and Zoom Player Standard 3.3 with no problems.

I'm running a Win98 computer with a PIII550 and ATI Rage128 (NOT a Radeon), but I don't think that has any bearing on this issue.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll need to recheck when I get home, but I'm pretty sure I downloaded the alpha may 2003 ffdshow also and the latest zoomplayer.

My suspicion is that since it seems that this should work, that I must have something that was left behind by some install that's causing problems, at least that's my guess. I guess I may just need to re-install win 2k and give it a fresh start.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.