AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My existing Linux file server made of lots of spare drives is almost full. I currently use it to stream to my PS3, but I'm not a huge fan of that situation - especially since anything with a somewhat high resolution can't be transcoded by the old AthlonXP in that box. I want to build a combination HTPC/file server to replace the old system and give me a better playback interface - I miss XBMC from my Xbox1!

It seems like an ION system is ideal for this, but I see one problem: Linux flash support. On Windows you can get hardware accelerated flash with 10.1, which makes things like Hulu possible. XBMC is just the opposite, hardware acceleration on Linux but not on Windows. In addition, I really like the Linux idea because it makes things like RAID easier. Plus, I like just having a Linux box around to tinker with.

I could go the Windows route, but then the file server part isn't as good. Is WindowsXP still supported by the graphics card manufacturers? I have a spare license of that and would rather not add another $100 for Windows 7.

What do you guys think? Anyone have good/bad experiences one way or another? I suppose a different route would be to build a Core 2 or AMD system that has enough power to handle Hulu in Linux without hardware acceleration. It would cost a little more but maybe it simplifies things.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
W7 supports Xbox natively, something to think about. Not setting up server settings, just load your files, set up extender and go.

I tried using Mythbuntu for HTPC and couldn't get it working right. W7 easy to set up, well worth the $100.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does W7 with an Xbox360 extender support mkv files? I imagine you could probably get it to work on the HTPC itself, but I don't know about getting the mkv splitter to work on the 360.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I use H.264 for everything, play natively. To play mkv in windows required codec modifications. I don't own any game consoles, just use another PC as an extender.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts