AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just announced...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/18934...interface.html

"If you're an Xbox owner and want to keep tabs on your friends' achievements, Windows 7 phones will come with a mobile version of Xbox Xbox LIVE games, Spotlight feed and the ability to see a gamer's avatar, Achievements and gamer profile. Users will also be able to purchase games and apps easily from the Windows Marketplace as well."

Is this enough of integration for you to consider buying this phone?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I'll definitely upgrade from 6.5 if it can be cooked to work on older phones. I have been using a 3rd party app that lets me know when friends are online and what they are playing....an MS app would be much better.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy /forum/post/18141466

Windows Phone 7 is not upgradable from WM6.5. It is a whole new OS, nothing from WM6.5 is going to work on 7.

look like WM7 WILL be compatible with the HD2

So im guessing Base will be 1ghz and 512Ram to run 7

All WM6.5 devices(NOT 6.1-to-6.5 upgrades) will receive the usual update

The HD2 has already been stated it will get the upgrade to 7(it runs 6.5 as a Factory rom)

I personally think with 7 MS is TRYING to "be" like Apple with the I-phone

(Zune OS and 7 look alot alike)

Posted on the Windows Mobile FB this morning

Windowsphone7series.com

After my phone craps out(HTC S620 with 6.5 3VO) i will "willingly" make the leap over to a Android device...The google Nexus one(if they still make it by then)

Also Posted on the Window mobile FB page this morning

Windowsphone7series.com

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
It looks good to me. All I've got is my Xbox " blog " that keeps me "interactive" with some of my XBox live buddies and the 1337 app on my G1 to know when friends are on/offline.

It'll be good to have something more robust build directly into a phone.

-JR

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I wonder if this is part of why they shut down xbox 1 live.

Funny enough my xbox live lapsed to silver last night , and I read this this morning.

My experince with windows mobile (and I've been using since Pocket PC days and then Pocket PC with VOIP over wifi) was it was great untill I got a HTC Diamond and got blown away by HTC awesome interface....

I'm thinking I'll be passing on this phone... unless HTC makes one.

Edit: Theres a demo up on the microsoft website. I think I hate the new interface and I doubt microsoft will want companies completly remaking the interface the HTC does.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
This won't make my upgrade to a Windows 7 phone. My coming upgrade I'm saving for the fall will.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy /forum/post/18141466

Windows Phone 7 is not upgradable from WM6.5. It is a whole new OS, nothing from WM6.5 is going to work on 7.

Doesn't mean someone won't cook a Win7 ROM for older phones (as long as the hardware can run it).

They said the same thing about WM6.5 from 6.1 and older. Wouldn't work on the older phones....had to have a dedicated hardware button, etc, but people find a way to make it happen.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Bout time MS stepped up. I've always been a blackberry user. Had a work issued BB since 9/11 terrorist attack. In that time I bought a Moto Rzar when it first came out, Fall 2004. Used it for a year, but went back to just my BB.

Wanted another camera phone that could also play music and videos.. so I bought the Samsung Blackjack and it was the worst phone ever. I couldnt believe how slow and bloated Windows Mobile felt. Went back to BB.

Finally got the iPhone 3Gs last June and Im totally happy. Doubt if I'd ever give a Windows phone a try again.. but atleast the Win Phone 7 OS looks competitive and up to date against the BB, Palm, iPhone OS. The HTC products look awesome.. but the OS has always kept me away from them.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike LS /forum/post/18145299

Doesn't mean someone won't cook a Win7 ROM for older phones (as long as the hardware can run it).

They said the same thing about WM6.5 from 6.1 and older. Wouldn't work on the older phones....had to have a dedicated hardware button, etc, but people find a way to make it happen.

Trust me when I say, the current generation of WM phones will not be able to run WP7S. It would be like saying you can hack your current phone to run the iPhone OS, theoretically, it might be possible, but impossible in all practical sense.

Daekwan, how do you like the touch surface for game control? I think they are okay for some games but not ideal for fast action games.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
So which phone(s) will do the job? LIVE integration is hardly high on my list but it would be amusing.

I've wanted to be able to do more than just make calls and play a small golf game, but my budget has been cramped. Now that I *could* come up with iPhone-service money (twice what I pay now I guess), I'm no longer sure an iPhone is my best choice. It's not like I'd write a lot of my own apps either way, but "Windows" is more my speed...

·
Registered
9,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy /forum/post/18139395

Just announced...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/18934...interface.html

"If you're an Xbox owner and want to keep tabs on your friends' achievements, Windows 7 phones will come with a mobile version of Xbox Xbox LIVE games, Spotlight feed and the ability to see a gamer's avatar, Achievements and gamer profile. Users will also be able to purchase games and apps easily from the Windows Marketplace as well."

Is this enough of integration for you to consider buying this phone?

this is great news, and a nice step forward, but to answer your question, no.... i'll never own another phone that doesn't have android on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von rottes /forum/post/18141645

After my phone craps out(HTC S620 with 6.5 3VO) i will "willingly" make the leap over to a Android device...The google Nexus one(if they still make it by then)

depending on how long you wait, you will have MUCH better offerings than the nexus one
HTC hardware is pretty much consitently garbage.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy /forum/post/18146310

Trust me when I say, the current generation of WM phones will not be able to run WP7S. It would be like saying you can hack your current phone to run the iPhone OS, theoretically, it might be possible, but impossible in all practical sense.

Daekwan, how do you like the touch surface for game control? I think they are okay for some games but not ideal for fast action games.

I dont think the older phones will be able to run Win7 either. Alot of the features seem to required upgraded hardware. Like touch ability, 3D, etc..

Gameboy for the most part it sucks for shooting & driving games. But it is one of those things where the more you play, the easier it is to play. Games that dont require split second reactions and button mapping play best on the iPhone.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.