AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get an idea about the workability of Remote Desktop across the various versions of Windows. I use it on Server 2003 all the time but what about Vista and XP?

Does it require AD or a domain?

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Nope. Remote Desktop technically has nothing to do with AD or a Domain. However, not all versions of Windows have the ability to be a Remote Desktop "host".

·
Registered
196 Posts
For XP - home doesn't let you connect to it, but MCE and Pro do.

For Vista - Basic and Home Premium don't let you connect, but Business, Enteprise and Ultimate do.

There is a way to hack Home Premium to be a RDP server, I'm sure you can track it down with google. I'm sure that MS can break the hack whenever they feel like it, though they haven't so far.

For my Vista Home Premium system I run RealVNC. It's not as smooth as RD (the screen doesn't redraw as fast) but it doesn't lock the screen on the local machine either which means I can do some maintenance on the HTPC and then not have to worry about logging back on to the machine before the family want to use it..

·
Registered
615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLan /forum/post/14340665

It's not as smooth as RD (the screen doesn't redraw as fast) but it doesn't lock the screen on the local machine either which means I can do some maintenance on the HTPC and then not have to worry about logging back on to the machine before the family want to use it..

Have you tried the concurrent sessions hack ? It should allow you to do what you want.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I just started using Log Me In yesterday on my HTPC.

www.logmein.com

Seems to work great. You download and install a file from their server onto the HTPC and you can access the HTPC from any internet connected PC.

Best yet, unless you need the premium services, it is free.

·
Registered
196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhhoffma /forum/post/14341872

Have you tried the concurrent sessions hack ? It should allow you to do what you want.

I'm not that interested in hacking a bunch of files to get it working. VNC works just fine with no perceived lag for regular maintenance (moving files around, windows update, configuring meedio/beyondTV) and I wouldn't want to stream stuff over RD anyway. I think part of the issue is the crappy wifi connection I have to the HTPC, but I can always bust out the keyboard/mouse if needed.

It's cool that people have figured out how to get this working, but I'll pass, thanks.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas777 /forum/post/14341966

I just started using Log Me In yesterday on my HTPC.

www.logmein.com

Seems to work great. You download and install a file from their server onto the HTPC and you can access the HTPC from any internet connected PC.

Best yet, unless you need the premium services, it is free.

I have been using logmein for about 6 months. I love it. I can access any of my PC's from any web browser on the planet.

I was having trouble getting remote desktop to work from an XP machine to my Vista Ultimate machine, so I gave up and went with logmein

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I'd completely forgotten about the logmein service. I've had an account there since Feb. 2006. I'll have to try it out again.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhhoffma /forum/post/14341872

Again, thanks for the link. I downloaded both the .bat file and the Vist SP1 .dll file and things are working great. Talk about convenient. I'd been (and still am) wondering why MS doesn't enable this as a default.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts