AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted to do a DIY screen for sometimes now. But with zero painting and wood-working skills, I find the various screen projects here impossible to do. Anyway, I notice that Home Depot sells Roller shades for windows in white and cream and in various sizes. Using these as screen would require almost no work on my part and they can be pulled down just like pull-down screens. Attach two brackets to the wall and I have a roll-down screen. It's so simple even I can do this. I am just wondering if any other members here have tried or even thought about using windows roller shades as screens. These roller shade's come in various sizes such as 55''X78'' and 73''X78''. The small one cost $20 and the large one cost $40. The thing is the rolling part is the short part. Unless I can roll them horizontally, I will be stuck with screens with width of 55'' or 73''. Please give me some feedback or ideas. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
One member here named tiddler used them to try different ideas of painting a roll down screen he experimented with painting them to see how different paints would hold up with the rolling.

I think they would work fine but like you say not be wide enough. I think the white would be your best bet, and I don’t think they would work to well sideways.

The best bet for a DIYer without many skills is BOC I think. Or painting a wall.

If you need a roll up screen there are some very budget ones out there.

BOC or black out cloth is low cost and will stretch enough its easy to get it tight on a frame. (some skills required) but not much.

But if all you want is a small screen give the blinds a try.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 /forum/post/12985674

Found someone who has used a window blind as screen.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673485

It looks good to me. Thanks Bud.

Having recently purchased a roller blind to cover our living room window, I would like to point out that the blind may cost almost as much as cheap screen. The cheap spring roller vinyl blinds that you buy at Wal-mart, Zellers, and similar retailers are not very thick and do not lay very flat. Even the the fiberglass reinforced blind we purchased for the window tends to curl at the edges.

This thread has brought a recurring idea to mind. If you purchase a piece of BOC and a flexible piece of molding, You may be able to make a poor man's tab tensioned screen. First lay the BOC out flat on the floor. Measure out the length for 92" screen width plus 20" for border and tensioning curve. Using the flexible molding draw arks on the ends. I would guess an 8" depth would be sufficient. Cut the BOC along the curved lines. Now fold the edge over twice about 1/2" wide. Sew the folded edge along each edge of the fold so it will remain a flat ribbon.

In it's simplest form I would get 4 pieces of 1/2 round. Then use two pieces to pinch the top and two to pinch the bottom. Just use countersunk screws through one half round into the other. When you hung it the curved edges would try to pull the side out. I guess I am assuming some stretch in the cloth. You may have to put some elastic in the folded edges of the sides.

Just another idea that's been rattling around in my head, along with the Proud Painter's Screen, and the Pull Cord Retractable idea.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddler /forum/post/12988046

Having recently purchased a roller blind to cover our living room window, I would like to point out that the blind may cost almost as much as cheap screen. The cheap spring roller vinyl blinds that you buy at Wal-mart, Zellers, and similar retailers are not very thick and do not lay very flat. Even the the fiberglass reinforced blind we purchased for the window tends to curl at the edges.

This thread has brought a recurring idea to mind. If you purchase a piece of BOC and a flexible piece of molding, You may be able to make a poor man's tab tensioned screen. First lay the BOC out flat on the floor. Measure out the length for 92" screen width plus 20" for border and tensioning curve. Using the flexible molding draw arks on the ends. I would guess an 8" depth would be sufficient. Cut the BOC along the curved lines. Now fold the edge over twice about 1/2" wide. Sew the folded edge along each edge of the fold so it will remain a flat ribbon.

In it's simplest form I would get 4 pieces of 1/2 round. Then use two pieces to pinch the top and two to pinch the bottom. Just use countersunk screws through one half round into the other. When you hung it the curved edges would try to pull the side out. I guess I am assuming some stretch in the cloth. You may have to put some elastic in the folded edges of the sides.

Just another idea that's been rattling around in my head, along with the Proud Painter's Screen, and the Pull Cord Retractable idea.

You are right about the cost of the blind. The largest one Home Depot has is 73''X78''. So width of the screen is limited to 73''. And it cost $40. While your idea is very interesting (if I could manage to make it), I need a pull down screen because this is a bedroom setup, and I need the room to look like a bedroom, not a home theater. Thus the need for a pull down screen. I just looked at some of the manual screens Amazon sells. Some are not expensive at all. Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I once landed a 100" 16:9 pulldown screen for $25 on craigslist so look around.

Victor

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor-eyd /forum/post/12989806

I once landed a 100" 16:9 pulldown screen for $25 on craigslist so look around.

Victor

Are you still using this 100'' screen? Want to sell it?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Actually, I'm going to use it for my bedroom LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts