AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, .. cross posting from the HTPC forum...

Just got a PLV-Z2 to use with my HTPC and a having some isues. It looks like others have had similar problems but I haven't found a solution. My Configuration is:

WinXP SP2

ATI x700 running the new Catalyst 5.8

-Hitachi 21" CRT pluged in to the VGA slot

-Attempting to use my PLV-Z2 in the DVI slot with a DVI dual link cable

Basically, the Z2 works great if I start the pc with only the VGA CRT connected and then hot plug the Z2. I am having the following issues:

1) if I turn off the Z2 then turn it back on (without power cycling the pc) I get "no input" on the Z2 (blue screen). If I change the display resolution and "apply" the settings, the Z2 comes up. The same thing happens if I get the Z2 running, switch it to input 1 (my cable box) then switch back to the DVI input. Blue screen until I change the display resolution.

2) If I have the Z2 connected to the DVI on the ATI and reboot the PC, Windows XP will not start. I see the Bios message on the CRT and the Z2, then Windows never loads. This is the case whether I plug in the DVI and the VGA or the DVI by itself.

From advice I saw on this board, I tried forcing Windows to think that the Z2 is a Sony GDM-FW900. The change does persist in the Windows settings, but the PC still will not boot past the BIOS if the DVI cable is connected to the ATI.

This is my first ATI card and I'm starting to regret the switch... Then again, I know from this board that people have gotten similar configurations to this working, so I think that with some giudance I will be ok.

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
989 Posts
You should also post this in the HTPC section...You might get some more knowledgeable folk over there.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I can't say that I'm an expert on an HTPC. However, I'm basically running your configuration with the exception that it's on a 9800 pro and a different PJ.

I don't have any idea about your BIOS boot up problem. I do have some suggestions and practices.

For your display issues. Are you running a separate resolution for both your display devices using an extended display configuration or are you running in clone mode with the same resolution? It may also be possible that you're running in clone mode and are trying to run separate resolutions for both your displays.

I have found the following to help in getting your display configuration stable:

Configure initially for extended display mode as this mode easily supports dual resolutions. If both your displays are turned on then this is the simplest. You'll get your desktop on one display and the other is an extension of the first. However, I find this mode somewhat difficult to use if you're looking to sometimes have only a single display running, either CRT or the PJ.

I find that clone mode works the best for me. However, this mode only supports a single resolution. If I want the PJ to work I change the resolution to 1280x720. If I want the CRT by itself I switch the resolution to the CRT resolution. If I want both, then it's set to 1280x720.

I initially had trouble setting my CRT resolution to something other than 1280x720. I think the device connected to the DVI acts as the master and in clone mode prevents the CRT from configuring for other resolutions unless you check show unsupported resolutions. Doing that works but produces other problems where you may find that some applications such as games do not show resolutions you know are supposed to work. To fix that you use the Sony GDM driver.

I have also found that the Catalyst Control center does not support the setting of primary/secondary display in clone mode. This may just be because I don't know how to do it here but it's important if your DVD player renders in Overlay mode. Overlay mode only works for the primary display. I ended up using the classic version of the Catalyst driver - not the CCC version.

I'm not sure this helps ....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.