Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A warm welcome to all members.

I just have a question on DVD playback using Windows XP.

I am running a Sony 1272 CRT via RGB and using HTPC on a 16x9 screen.

As I have conferged the projector to to fit the RGB display within the 16x9 screen, when I boot up windows, the desktop is displayed in 16x9.

Now this is no bother, but because the desktop display is already 16x9,

ie the desktop has already been squashed vertically, when I run a DVD, the aspect ratio for the movie is also squashed vertically. Everybody looks stumpy, like they need to lose some weight!

Is there any way to keep the desktop at 16x9, but when running a DVD, to have the film run at its true original aspect ratio automatically?

Is there a default setting within Windows XP that can do this. How do you guys get around this problem.

Currently the only solution for me is to adjust the RGB size vertically on my projector before each DVD starts.

Thanks & Regards,

Andrew.....

·
Registered
988 Posts
I run XP in 1360:768 for my 16:9 projector (using Radeon 7200). Windows desktop fills the screen and PowerDVD shows the picture in the correct aspect ratio. I don't have to fiddle with the size at all.

What DVD software player are you using?

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
YOu need to set the desktop to a 16x9 resolution, like 1280x720 or 1368x768 or whatnot. If you just take the normal desktop (which will be in a 4x3 format) and squish it down, you will get non-square pixels. The icons will squished and so forth.

So get something like Powerstrip and use it to set up a 16x9 desktop, and all should be well.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It is my understanding that for DVD playback you get smoother scaling if you set your HTPC resolution at some even multple of the native DVD resolution of 480 X 720. My pj's sweet spot is at 960p and I set my HTPC's resolution to 960 X 1440. On a 16:9 screen the desktop runs off the the top and bottom egdes. Is there is a way to display the entire desktop on a 16:9 screen and not compromise DVD scaling performance?

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
You aren't going to compromise your scaling by setting a 16:9 resolution on the desktop. The scaler in the HTPC is completely capable of generating a great image at pretty much any resolution. Any gains by making it an even multiple of 720x480 would be minor compared to having it work correctly.

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked my set up over the weekend and I think my problem is due to my graphics card.

Guys, I am running a G-Force card that doesn't support 16x9 resolution and using Win software.

Is there anyway to change the desktop to 16x9, or is this hardware dependant?

I hope you blokes forgive my ignorance but what is Powerstrip and where do I get it? Will I have to change my card to support 16x9 or is there another way around it?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Andrew...

·
Registered
875 Posts
What GeForce card are you using? I have the GF4 MX440, and I have mine set to 16:9. I don't believe the nvidia chipset does interlacing well so you need to watch that.

Dizzy

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Geforce 2 cards do support custom resolutions of 16x9. Determine the scan rate & refresh rate of your PJ (in the advanced timings screen) & lock those timings to the closest 16x9 resolution in the custom resolution screen.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
I hope you blokes forgive my ignorance but what is Powerstrip and where do I get it? Will I have to change my card to support 16x9 or is there another way around it?
www.entechtaiwan.com if memory serves. It won't support every graphics engine, though it supports all the ones we want the most in the HT world, so check its list and see.

Actaully, I just tried the site and its not responding right now, but I'm pretty sure that's the right URL. Maybe its just down for maintenance or its been moved or something.

·
Registered
875 Posts
There was a post I saw a while back that used the GeForce2 card for it's custom timings and resolutions. Might want to search for that. He gave all kinds of good stuff, it's what I used to start with on my machine. Also, a thing to note is that the nvidia cards don't support interlacing.

Dizzy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.