Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*** Posted with the permission of AVS ***

http://www.retrosight.com/greenbuttononpurple.jpg

The Microsoft Windows eHome Division Public Relations and Web marketing teams are looking for a few good customer testimonials / case studies from folks who have bought a PC with Windows XP Media Center Edition and would be interested in sharing how they use & enjoy their PC in their home.

--> Are you using your Media Center PC in a unique and/or interesting way?

--> Are you particularly thrilled with their MCE experience?

--> Would you be interested in sharing your story with others?

If so, we’d like to hear from you!

All interested persons should send an email to [email protected] indicating their interest along with...

--> Name

--> Age (a range is OK)

--> Email Address

--> Phone Number

--> Brand and Model of Media Center PC they bought

--> Brief recap of their Media Center PC experience

Feel free to ping me either in this forum, PM or direct email should you have any questions!

Sincerely,

Charlie Owen [MSFT]
[email protected]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

·
Registered
421 Posts
*cough* HD support

I've played with the Gateway and HP in the stores on a few occassions. I like them quite a bit... HD tuner card support would seal the deal for me. (just thought I'd remind msft of that, again, just in case you guys forgot :D).

·
Registered
315 Posts
First, I would like to say I'm glad to see Microsoft looking around here and asking for input.

I've been running MCE on a custom machine via the MSDN. Here are a list of my top issues with it and features I would like to see.

- support more capture cards. Even if MCE continues to be sold with rebuilt computers, I'm not a huge fan of Hauppauge and would like to have more capture options. Which brings me to my second major gripe,

- don't require me to buy a new computer just to get MCE :) If I were a developer, I would agree with your approach. But version 2 would be a good time to expand. Plus, a large number of people who are interested in this product build their own machines.

- support more then one capture card. I would like to have PIP and the ability to watch one thing while recording another. There is only one other piece of software out there that does this and it's for unix.

- dscaler support. This may be a pipe dream, but some kind of plugin architecture so that this could happen, even if not directly from Microsoft. I like the way ShowShifter allows for the use of dscaler without leaving it.

Some smaller requests:

- web based records, like MyReplayTV.

- direct records to dvd+r/w.

- ability to easily export to dvd in a compatible format.

I understand the fear of this, but if I may get political for a moment, I think this could be great PR for Microsoft. It has already been ruled the VCRs fall under the fair use law, and as far as I'm concerned DVDs are merely an update of the technology. This is not at all the same as online file sharing. Plus, what's the worst that could happen, the tv studios sue Microsoft over this feature. I don't see this as completely bad because I believe you have the resources to take the tv studios on. Plus it could be spun in your favor. Imagine the headline, "Microsoft fights for viewer's rights." Anyways, I digress.

Jason

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Interesting post. Sort of ironic that the MCE gave me the initial drive to get a HTPC. I searched everywhere for a suitable pre-built HTPC with MCE because I liked the interface, but all the gateway/HP type of machines weren't good enough for the true benefits of HTPC. And, the companies like Cellar Cinemas that build real HTPCs (unlike gateway/hp) don't use MCE. So, I was forced to build my own from scratch and came here to figure out the best parts. And, now that I've seen this post I've come full circle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.