AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone looked into this yet? It is currently only available as a pre-load, not available to buy as freestanding OS. My computer guy showed it to me and I was wondering is there anything really different.

Will it replace some of the software that is out there into one neat package? It has built in PVR, program guide, and media center remote.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you trust M$ to do anything right, more power to you.

I'd see it as another application for those people who arn't that good at using a computer. Sure, it's got a lot of bells a whistles, but mostly it's stuff you can ALREADY to with XP, just 'dumbed down' for the joe-blows out there that don't want anything complicated.

I haven't had much 1:1 time on MCE, but from what I've seen my reaction has been "Neat, but not all that great."

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
2 things I think that MCE does have that other pc based apps don't...

1. A UI that is well integrated, TV friendly and remote controllable

2. An really nice integrated (free) EPG that compares in quality and features with Tivo, replay or ultimateTV

I played around with one a little the other day and I do think it does a pretty good job of balancing the quality vs. cost & complexity. It's not going to go up against a well setup HTPC for picture quality.

...and it's too expensive. At least the HP model that I looked at is. Also, at this point in time you can't create DVD compliant video captures. MS is saying they are going to fix that down the road but we'll see.

Al

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I would wait. If its anything like the first releases of any of their other O.S's there will be plenty of patches to come. Wait untill they get the bugs out. Then it will be worth it.

My 2cents

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.