AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just enabled the viewing of "Page Faults" and "I/O Other" in my Windows XP Task Manager under the "Processes" tab. I noticed that some processes continue have a Page Fault value which grow slowly over time. Is this normal? Is there any way to avoid this from happening?

·
Registered
485 Posts
That's normal on any system with virtual memory. All it means is the app tried to access a part of memory that's been swapped out to disk. You might be able to get it to stop happening by turning off virtual memory (which you should only do if you have tons of RAM) but it isn't a sign of anything wrong.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Page faults are what happens when you try to access a bit of memory that has been offloaded to virtual memory.

If the Virtual Memory usage is static then this can be caused by not having enough memory.

John

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Steve, I actually dont use a swapfile. The entire OS is in RAM using the "DisablePagingExecutive=1". I have more than enough high quality ram to support this.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Even if you don't have page file, you still have virtual memory. Each app is given its own 2GB virtual address space, and Windows will map actual memory into that virtual address space as needed.

But I still don't think these page faults are anything you need to worry about.

·
Registered
888 Posts
If the size of the processes is not growing, then you shouldn't worry about it. Page faults also occur when new memory is allocated, so if a program has a memory leak you will see page faults and a constantly increasing process size.

There are some other esoteric situations when page faults can occur, but as long as memory usage is not going up, you are probably ok.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.