Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buy it!

Best product from the greediest company ever.

Ultra intuitive, A/V friendly.

Best software upgrade ever!

Jeff (BTW, I am Joe 6 pack user - not a computor geek).

Jeff

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I upgraded from W2K enterprise to XP enterprise over the weekend and it has been a disaster so far. My system goes to the "blue screen of death" every few minutes. Looks like I will have to reformat the hard drive and start over. Be sure to have plenty of support when doing it. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
205 Posts
One thing I've learned through the years.

NEVER and I say NEVER upgrade from one OS to another.

Working in the corperate environment, I have seen mor VITAL data lost due to a user (and techs) upgrading their OS.

Backup, FORMAT, Install.....

I've used XP since BETA 2 and I can't stand to work on 2000 at work.

XP is faster, snappier, and FAR more stable.... Win2000 is ROCK SOLID, don't get me wrong, but XP has "YET" (knock on wood) to give me trouble......

That said, if there are latent hardware problems that make a system a little weired, XP will find them and crash all over them. But swapping out a video card on one PC and updating the BIOS of another fixed all stability problems so far.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I Totally Agree!!

DO NOT TRY AND UPGRADE TO XP!!!!!!

I learned the hard way about two weeks ago.

Totally crashed my entire system.

Spent an entire day on the phone with Micros**t support and in the end had to fdisk my hard drive and start completely over with Windows 98SE. I'm still waiting for my refund from Micros**t.

Read my lips.

DONT DO IT!!!:mad:

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Iv used XP on new PCs and I like it alot. But my PC is a P3 @700 Mhz and Im somewhat happy with WIN98SE. I get the ocasional blue screen of death and illegal operaton message, but I keep my PC upto speed by running the Maitence Wizard (ScanDisk, Defrag and clean disk) everyother month and do a full Quick Restore every few months, I use that lastes software updates and Im relativly happy with my system, IE6 ROCKS!!! I just wish I had M$ Office Pro XP and Corel Office 10 (or whatever the newest version is).

Steve

·
Registered
27,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yikes!

I have a Dell 800mhz PIII.

The Dell site said the bios would not be optimal nor would Dell upgrade my current Bios. Obviously, a scam to buy a new computor.

Windows 98 SE on my current rig crashed regularly.

XP was my only hope for salvation!

Sorry you guys had such bad luck but all my devices including my firewired DV camera, USB digital camera, Palm, printer, etc. are in OS heaven.

Not one crash yet, no slow moving windows, a faster system, and definitely more intuitive.

I am a computor dummy who understands little of what a computor can actually do.

I want a computor to do what I want to without going to support sites and manuals. I hate manuals. This is it!

XP is ultra idiot proof! I was all Macintosh thru college. Mac is the ultimate in intuitive use. This XP is as close to Mac as a Mac.

If you are after ease of use and want to say good-bye to crashes, speed, better video control/support, and a more esthetic appearance, XP is the solution.

If XP crashes your system, my advice is to chuck it and get a new XP leviathon.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Jeff, how much faster are bootups and shut downs with XP? My Compaq 700Mhz W/98SE takes about 35-40 seconds to bootup (starting from when the 'Windows 98' splash screen appears to when my busy light for my hardrive goes off) and shutdows are about 5 seconds.

Steve

·
Registered
27,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steve,

I just powered off and then, on to test.

Power off - 15 sec same start point as you.

Boot up TOTAL from turning on computor to desk top appearance - 48 sec.

From your start/end points 14 sec.

Jeff

·
Registered
129 Posts
I recently got a new computer going from a 200 MHZ to a 1.2 GHZ and going from Windows 98 to XP and I couldn't be happier. I have no more your computer has performed a illegal operation and it's just so much faster that it's hard to put into words.

·
Registered
27,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thought I'd report back.

Same system is faster than ever, more intuitive to use, and most imporatntly....................

NOT ONE CRASH, SLOW DOWN, FREEZING, ETC, SINCE INSTALLED!!!

All hardware runs better than ever and no driver issues, most mainstream stuff is available!

XP will find & automatically download all needed drivers the moment they become available if not already present.

Best purchase for my computer since its original purchase!

Buy it! Highly recommended!

Jeff

·
Registered
667 Posts
I am having blue screens left and right and I can't isolate what is causing them. I think it is driver related but I am not sure. I need to analyze the screens a little further, but it is quite consistant.

AMD T-Bird 1.4Ghz 266

256Mb PC2100 Ram

WD 40Gb 7200RPM ATA 100 Drive

Leadtek GeForce 2 Ultra 64Mb

Hercules Game Theater 6.1

Creative Labs 10X12X32 CDRW

2 Case fans

1 HD fan

Cooling air duct fan blowing on video and other PCI components.

3-Com 3C905TX NIC

USB NIC for Motorola Cable Modem

HP 3200C Scanner

Lexmark Z11 Printer

I am an MCSE and have been working with Microsoft products for 8 years so I do have an idea what it takes to get the OS working properly, but for some reason I am having very wierd issues. I will report back with my findings once the issues are resolved.

Dan

By the way, all the drivers are the latest as well as the BIOS revisions and this was a fresh install.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have a 600MHz (celeron) dell inspiron 4000 with 320MB ram that came with winME. This machine had become increasingly flaky over the last few months and XP looked like a good move. Dell's website said I'd be OK with upgrading. Also, while I'm not a hardcore PC geek, I am definitely a PC geek.

I had my laptop setup on an orinoco wireless network also containing a 3com internet firewall/gateway/print server.

the install was LONG, taking a solid 1.5hrs for the program to run, plus an additional couple hours devoted to downloading and installing updates (download time was not a significant factor here).

my wireless network was identified and showed strong signal strength with the new built-in wireless features, but I could not communicate with the wireless gateway. after a lot of playing around trying to figure out the new networking schemes (very different from win9x) I eventually got it to work... the default encryption in XP didn't work with the encryption used by the orinoco gateway. I had to manually uninstall the orinoco software, then reconfigure the orinoco gateway, then setup the XP settings to match. None of this was self-explanatory.

also, I could no longer use the driver for my print server. 3Com had discontinued the unit and wouldn't offer any support on the website. I was eventually able to figure out a workaround by reading the installation instructions provided for Unix machines and searching for similar port names in the XP help program (which is much better than windows help has ever been).

After most of a day spent on the upgrade, my machine is now fully functional and running very well.

my initial impressions are that XP is very fast (responsive), much more stable (i slowed down a few times, but never froze), and significantly more convenient to use than ME. My fiancee and I were very impressed with the profile handling and custom settings for different users... this feature works like you would expect and is much better than previous attempts at user profiles.

you can definitely see win2k underpinnings, especially when it comes to networking. The controls are much more powerful than consumer windows has been (9x, ME) and most mods can be made without rebooting.

boot time feels faster, and suspend/resume are both faster and more reliable.

to sum up, XP is way better than ME. but upgrading is not for the faint of heart. You must be both confident in your abilities and a bit fearless to attempt this and you should absolutely make a backup first if at all possible. that said, I love it so far!

jake

PS. for the record, it is very out of character for me to endorse any M$ product; especially a brand new OS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.