AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using an m-audio audiophile on W2K-SP2, driver 5.10.00.0027 .

While I've gone through some misery to get SP/DIF without stuttering on my VIA chipset (Abit KT7A-RAID with latest Bios and recommended settings), WinDVD 4.0 (build 4.0.5.20) is not playing normally in SP/DIF mode.

WinDVD 3.0 and PowerDVD 4.0 are still working correctly with AC3/DTS, but with WinDVD 4.0 I have to select Analog Mode (which restricts sound to Pro-Logic), otherwise it looks like WinDVD 4.0 is trying to play frames as fast as possible and losing it's timebase, which is very frustrating to watch.

Furthermore, I do not get any real AC3/DTS SP/DIF output in this warped playback (e.g. Dolby Helicopter trailer plays in less then 5 seconds with no sound). When I press the Mute button, it starts playing at normal frame rate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have exactly the same problem using Audigy S/PDIF output. Windvd3x are fine but any version of windvd4 just cannot play audio using S/PDIF. When trying DTS, I only have silence. I sent e-mail to Intervideo and got nothing for five days already. Time to ask for my money back!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by finist2000
I have exactly the same problem using Audigy S/PDIF output. Windvd3x are fine but any version of windvd4 just cannot play audio using S/PDIF. When trying DTS, I only have silence. I sent e-mail to Intervideo and got nothing for five days already. Time to ask for my money back!
This is really bad, as WinDVD 4.0 video perforance is really close to Theatertek, whereas WinDVD 3.0 and the PowerDVD 4.0 don't impress me in terms of sharpness and details in the color.

Now we have to choose : great sound with poor image (WinDVD 3.0) or great image with poort sound (WinDVD 4.0). It seems Intervideo doesn't really care about the real enthousiasts with 24/96 cards.

Maybe I should get Theatertek after all. As far as I remember, WinDVD 3.0 assumes square pixels, which doesn't work correctly with 1440*960 on a 16:9 screen, but works with resolutions like 1280x720 which are square pixel based.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by finist2000
I have exactly the same problem using Audigy S/PDIF output. Windvd3x are fine but any version of windvd4 just cannot play audio using S/PDIF.

I just upgraded to version 4.0.5.43 and the m-audio problem still exists ... going theatertek now.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have the same issue. When I switch to S/PDIF, WinDVD4 starts to play 2x (and of course audio doesn't play at those speeds.) I've e-mailed Intervideo support, but no response yet. Please be sure to e-mail intervideo support so they know this is a problem.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Thinker
I have the same issue. When I switch to S/PDIF, WinDVD4 starts to play 2x (and of course audio doesn't play at those speeds.) I've e-mailed Intervideo support, but no response yet. Please be sure to e-mail intervideo support so they know this is a problem.
I used a demo version before I switched to Theatertek. The intervideo customer base is probably that large they do not care about some HT enthousiasts complaining about broken SP/DIF on their 24/96, as this is not their main business.

For Theatertek, they live from the enthousiasts and as a result we get better support. Furthermore, the aspect ratio tool is worth buying TT for.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi there!

I may not have a M-A or the TT-player but I do experience the same SP/DIF problems running WinDVD 4.0 in combination with a Terratec X-Fire 1024 (Crystal CS-4624 chip) under 98SE and also XP. Yesterday I tried a different card: Trust (CMI-8738 chip) and this also didn´t work.

According to Intervideo-support both these cards ought to work...

C.Ya!

p.s: those of you interested to try WinDVD´s analog-sound, here´s a free ACTIVATOR

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi there,

i have the same problem with my audiophile 24/96.

The only way to reproduce smoothly is to check the analog output.

Using zoom player 2.60 you can have DD/DTS win WINDVD 4, but every time you should check in filter properties/intervideo decoder the spdfout.

Since no answer from intervideo, maybe we should wait for a newest version or a bug fix or a newest driver...

let's wait

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I had similar problems with windvd4. I got a copy of windvd tweaker ( http://3dgamer.tripod.com ) I have regular windvd4 (not pro version). I only use SPDIF pass thru mode. I do not use analog out. I have a M- audio sonica USB SPDIF sound device.

goto the windvd tweaker set the following on the AUDIO tab (if I dont specify below assume not check or blank settings):

General screen: SPDIF, 4 channel mode (this is a weird setting but it was the key one for me), do not expand, theater environment, amplification 3 normal

Hit the apply button.

Dsound/windows screen: Max Windvd speaker output 4 channel

hit the apply button.

Alternate setup: in the upper right hand side of the windvd tweeker audio screen is a wizzard button. Hit that and answer the questions.

the 4 speaker settings are weird, but they do not affect DTS/DD SPDIF passthru and for whatever reason gave me smooth audio/video playback.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.