AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone has compared the picture quality of the captioned with their previous version? Kindly please share with us if you did. Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
WinDVD 5 has a serious problem with sound drop out at each and every chapter on the disc. They put out an update but that does not fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I'll revive this since I made close comparisons the other night using ffdshow and not with both programs. Windvd was considerably courser and brighter in appearance with my CRT projector. Additionally, the default picture was somewhat greenish or yellowish in appearance. The powerdvd 5 picture is amazing from the get go and only needed minimum sharpening to my eyes. The picture has a 3-d quality and level of contrast that is startling. Switching back and forth and applying ffdshow I got similar results aross the board. So for my setup (htpc, 1080X540p, Barco BG 808, 92-in screen) the PowerDVD 5 is the winner.

Brian

·
Registered
4 Posts
In which way do you use powerdvd 5 with ffdshow beacuse i can not link the video filter of powerdvd with the ffdshw filter. Please help me to understand how to do it.

thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
WinDVD Platinum 5 plays my T2 Extreme WMP9 HD just fine, but PowerDVD 5 won't play them, probably because the license confuses it (license downloaded the same day). It plays other non-licensed HD WMP9 files fine though. WinDVD correctly sets the right aspect ratio with WMP9 files while PowerDVD plays them all in full screen. There was no aspect ratio control of WMP9 files in PowerDVD 5 for some reason.

I haven't tried them for playing DVDs. I use TheaterTek.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.