AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using Qvision and DVArchive to transfer shows from my 5040s to my home pc, then using DVD2AVI to cut the commercials out, then TMPGenc to re-encode the results and finally Nero 5.5 to burn VCDs.

There's got to be a better way.

I have not tried it yet, but is anyone using WinDVD to cut, re-encode and burn? When I read the product description it *seems* like it would makes the cut-reencode-burn steps easier and faster, but lots of software doesn't live up to its billing. Is anyone using WinDVD to accomplish this? Is it better than DVD2AVI + Tmpgenc? I'm not keen on spending $99.00 to buy WinDVD if it won't do what I want.

Is there something else which is better than all the above?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
My version of windvd is ONLY a software dvd decoder. It has no editing abilities at all. Unless there is a newer version out that 'says' it will perform those functions, DL the demo version and play with it. If it does what you want then you're all set.

·
Registered
582 Posts
You might try Womble to cut and reencode. You will still have to use Nero to burn but, although I don't do VCD, Nero has worked very well for me burning DVD's.

You can download a trial version which will only allow you to do 5 minute clips HERE .

You CAN request a full trial version which will let you do anything you want for 14 days by eMailing them and just asking.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I downloaded a free trial of InterVideo's WinDVD Creator Platinum. If you read the maker's description of the program, you'd certainly think that it is supposed to do everything Womble does and more. However, it repeatedly locked up on my IBM P-4, 1.8ghz, 1.5gb ram, XP-Pro system.

I bit the bullet and bought the full version of Womble. It's quick and easy and works pretty much exactly like I would like. It beats the heck out of the steps required for the same task using DVD2AVI and TMPgenc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.