AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ooh and I can't spell, another 19 megs coming down of Intervideo goodies.. ho hum.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thanks EP.

Would you be able to answer my question in the WinDVD4 thread? Basically are the WinDVD4 filters 100% stable for you under ZP, or do they sometimes crash when you try to navigate around a disk?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was using the second most recent leaked WinDVD4 to wathc amovie last night and it seemed fine. They did mess up when I press CTRL-ALT-DEL (half the screen paused the other half restarted the movie)

I am still downloading this platinum version myself, so can't test it here.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Electronic Punk.

I have just realised that the navigation stability problems I was seeing could be due to quartz.dll and not the WinDVD filters at all. I have upgraded from DirectX 8.1 to DirectX 8.1b and lo-and-behold the stability issues seem to have been fixed. Still to be tested fully but it looks pretty good from here. Sorry to trouble you.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Anybody know what improvements were made in this new version? I am mainly concern with video quality.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SHS
$100 they nuts
Yeah, and it doesn't even support DVD-A or DTS 24/96. :( However, you can use the coupon code WDP30 to get a $30 discount. :)

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I don't know about anybody else but I think NVDVD2.20 looks the best out of the bunch. PowerDVD is right behind it though, I think that is wierd because PowerDVD does not look as good on my HDTV as WinDVD 4.0, PowerDVD looks a lot brighter on my set.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I really appreciate the pics for comparison, FAKEFACTORY. I still can't decide which I think is the best. The remark about NVDVD2.20 looking best is appreciable, and it seems to be in the middle in terms of contrast.

But I see mpeg noise in the image, and I think I see the same in PowerDVD but it could just be that all that contrast is exaggerating what looks like texture in the face.

Could someone share with me their ideas on how to evaluate what we are looking at here?

It seems to me that this is a fantastic way to evaluate how the decoders are representing contrast and revealing detail that might be lost in shadows or overly bright scenes, but is it as important to evaluate the way the video streams? What looks to me like mpeg noise in these still shots might prove me wrong when the video is streaming.

Please share your ideas.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Juan, Brightness and Contrast differences are NOT a descision point in evaluating soft DVD players, since all of them are adjustable to match, yet they all have different default settings.

Only 2 factors should be considered, sharpness and lack of noise. These are not adjustable with user controls, you get what you get.

Vern Dias

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I found that NVIDIA DVD has areas on three disks where the motion would look jerky. My wife even noticed it and she is not much of a phile. This is more subtle than a stutter but noiticible none the less. Even Windvd-2000 did not EVER show this artifact on the same DVDs and the same machine. So I would add fluid motion to Vern's short list of video attributes. This is of course not shown in the example pics above.

I might also add audio which is for me a pass fail. I can't get DD 5.1 to work on NVIDIA but no problems with WinDVD.

NVIDIA has some limitations playing off of disk. WinDVD4 does the best.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
IUnknown, you are absolutely correct! In fact it was the smoothness of pans that led me to my current favorite: Sonic Cinemaster video and WinDVD4 audio. I can't believe I left that criteria out of my list.

Vern

·
Registered
376 Posts
her teeth look sharpest in the nvdvd pic, but that could be because the brightness of that shot is set a little higher than tt1.5.

For me, windvd provides micro-stuttering, and nvdvd, tt1.5, do not. For me, windvd has problems with passthrough, nvdvd does not...(tt1.5 does). It has a lot to do with hardware/drivers which determine if a particular decoder exhibits these symptoms.

However, in my opinion the video quality of nvdvd and tt1.5 are the best.....powerdvd is downright awful.

I use a tt1.5 for video, and nvdvd for audio as it eliminates stuttering on my system. I will try platinum however just to see for myself if it's an improvement over windvd4

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just a quick note on the SPDIF pass-thru problems. I noticed that WinDVD Platinum now includes an option under Setup\\Audio\\Advanced that allows the selection of which audio renderer to choose. After messing with this function I was able to solve my pass-thru issues for Audigy 2 with DirectSound Setting. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
559 Posts
@FAKEFACTORY

It looks like you haven't activated "force weave" in registry for WinDVD 4.0.

Please make sure you have BOBWEAVE=2 under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\InterVideo\\Common\\VideoDec] if you use the DirectShow filter. The Player itself is so buggy that it just doesn't save the options and also doesn't use DXVA for example.

A time ago I made screenshots with Hypersnap DX from WinDVD 4.0, Cineplayer 1.5 and PowerDVD 4.0. The screenshots from WinDVD and Cineplayer were bit-identical, PowerDVD was different.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.