AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen many posts on this site with conflicting information regarding which (if any) of the above DVD software players provide the "best" quality images and sound from an HTPC. In addition, the "Best of Class" FAQ suggests that each one may be needed. Are there general guidelines indicating under what conditions each of these players excels, or what might the strengths and weakness of each are? Help in this area would be greatly appreciate!!!

SFC

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi SFC:

___I am talking about the various players under 98 SE/Millennium and not Windows 2000. There is another difference in capabilities between the Professional and the Consumer based OS’s as far as capabilities are concerned if that matters to you.

___When PowerDVD 2.5x.xxxx was the king, it was top of the list because it could play any DVD thrown at it without a problem as well as having great sound. WinDVD 2000 was known for its infamous frame skipping (Ch. 3 of Armageddon … Bruce’s golf swing and the Matrix Subway fight scene were infamous) but had a higher quality display. After the WinDVD 2.3.55 patch was made available (Thanks BBQ http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ), I believe WinDVD overtook PowerDVD in both the visual aspect and the ability to play problem DVD’s. The newer PowerDVD 3.0.xxxx release helped the visual aspect in darker films IMO but seemed to lose stability for playing a number of disc’s without glitches (The Cell). I haven’t seen WinDVD 2000 ver. 2.6.4 screw up but once (T2 UE when the police chopper was heading toward the Cyberdyne bldg., but it was not repeatable after a clean format) in literally thousands of DVD playbacks on similar HTPC’s setup to run in loops. The new king of the hill is the ATI 4.1 player for both HQ visual and audio output. You do not get as consistent problem free playback as can be seen by the many posts in the HT Computer forum but you do get a better overlay when used in conjunction with the ATI Radeon and better sound as well. Besides the fact that you have to hack the ATI player to death to make it work properly, it is missing DTS which in today’s world of DVD’s via HTPC is a huge miscue. In other words, it is best to have a few players installed and ready to go just in case a particular disc has problems for whatever reasons. The hacked ATI player for DD DVD’s is a good place to start with either WinDVD 2000 ver. 2.6.x or PowerDVD 3.0.124 for DTS and or problem disc’s in particular.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

[This message has been edited by xcel (edited 06-28-2001).]

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, particularly to you xcel, for the extensive comments. Since the ATI player comes with the Radeon cards (I am currently looking at the VE because I have both a digital flat panel display and a projector), sounds like an excellent place to start!

SFC

·
Registered
300 Posts
I use all 3 players but in difrent situation

ATI player 4.1 for regular needs (with my proj.) it´s the king

WinDVD 3.0 for late night( mornings after 3.00 to 4.00) when I use the dolby headphones and DTS movies.

PowerDVD 3.0 when I need to look at a dvd on my Monitor

( I don´t look at whole movies on my monitor only peaces or vobs)

I think it´s the must stabel one( for my setup anyway)

Regards

Patric

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A quick question for you, xcel:

Is there a concise summary of the necessary ATI tweeks anywhere (I'm running Windows 98SE)?

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I went from a Gefore 2 GTS to a Radeon AIW, back to the Geforce and finally a Radeon 64 DDR Vivo. I have no time for really poor software like the ATI player. I have tried all 3 players at different version levels includeing the latest versions of all 3 and for me the WinDVD players has it by some margin. Yes the Radeon does look better regardless of player.

Jeff

·
Registered
246 Posts
how about this: does powerdvd or windvd on a RADEON look better than powerdvd or windvd on a GeForce????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.