AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought WinDVD XP upgrade version yesterday. I took a test of it and found that it's really great in comparison with ATi DVD. I don't do many tweaks except gamma value. The image is sharp and the stability is good with or without hareware acceleration. I think that it's quite promising for DVD replay. IMO, the DVD replay by WinDVD 3.1 is equal or close to ATi DVD player with additional DTS passthrough. Many comparisons are ongoing. Radeon LE and WinDVD XP together do give me great picture and sound so far.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Is WinDVD XP 3.1 better than WinDVD 3.0? I haven't tried WinDVD 3.0, since I heard reports that it was actually inferior in quality to earlier versions of WinDVD. I'm using WinDVD 2.8 right now coz I can't get PowerDVD or ATI DVD player to output DD/DTS sound through my soundcard(AP2496) at all.

Does WinDVD XP 3.1 do DD/DTS passthrough on Win2K SP2 with an AP2496?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Clym, are there any release notes as to what new features are offered by this new version? DXVA support probably?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Does winDVD XP support music CDs in either WinME of WinXP

I know it is WinDVD 3.1 under WinME.

I can not get ANY player to play DTS music CDs (not DVDs. I can play DTS DVDs just fine)

All of mine are from DTS entertainment. Have 3 they all don't work

·
Registered
119 Posts
3.1 PQ seems to be the same as 3.0...

·
Registered
830 Posts
>I can not get ANY player to play DTS music CDs (not DVDs. I can play DTS DVDs just fine)

Very heavily dependent on soundcard - I could not get the Live to pass or play dts CD. The Live is just doing something really odd.

However the Vortex2, CMI8738 and of course, the Envy 24 can both play and pass.

Some you have to set to 44.1kHz first.

T.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks Tony,

I will focus on my soundcard. The control panel on the Audiophile 24/96 automatically switchs to 44.1

I don't get why DTS DVDs are fine and DTS CDs are not.

What do I know.

·
Registered
830 Posts
> don't get why DTS DVDs are fine and DTS CDs are not.

That's the hint.

>Some you have to set to 44.1kHz first.

dts DVD is 48kHz.

dts CD is 44.1kHz.

All cards can do 48kHz. Some cards have lots of problems with 44.1kHz.

T.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally posted by Knuck
Where did you find WINDVD XP?. I didn't see it on Intervideo's website.
It's Traditional Chinese version. I live in Taiwan. I won't have time to test WinDVD XP more until next weekend because I've got a busy job. ( I'll be working during this weekend. ) Anyway, I'll play with it as soon as I have time.

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
The multilanguage version of WinDVD 3.1 is out there if you look for it ;) . Mostly from Japanese/Chinese websites so you may need to use Babelfish to translate . I am very impressed with 3.1 , it is better than 3.0 under WinXP . Better PQ and better SQ . I would say that this is real close to the Rav/Cine player [ATI] latest version . I cannot do side by side comparison but it is real close ! Power DVD XP 4.0 is very impressive also . but that is another topic ;) .

Jason Berg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.