AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi!

i recently bought a panasonic htib. it's called SC-PT850 in sweden but the modelnumber may be different in other countries. the system produces great sound and the picturequality is great as well so all-in-all i am satisfied with the product.

however, the speakers are constantly having a windy noise going through them. as long as the system is turned on that is. the noise is quite noticeable even though i cannot say that it is loud. but i can hear it from five feet away if I am facing the front of the speaker.

this happens on all the line in channels where something is plugged in.

is this noise normal or is it because of bad cable isolation. or even worse, have i "semi blown" the system? i have tried to my best to avoid ground loops.

any suggestions? help is highly appreciated.

TIA

·
Registered
883 Posts
Sounds like you need an exorcist. In one sentence, you say "the system produces great sound". Then, "the speakers are constantly having a windy noise going through them." You say the problem only happens when the system is on. Leave it off. Problem solved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche951 /forum/post/12961328

Sounds like you need a exorcist. In one sentence, you say "the system produces great sound". Then, "the speakers are constantly having a windy noise going through them." You say the problem only happens when the system is on. Leave it off. Problem solved.

thats some funny ****... who are you anyway, Jerry Seinfeld????

ofcourse you cannot hear the noise when you are playing music fairly high, and the soundquality is great. but when playing at lower volumes or watching a movie where there may be scenes with a lot of dialogue you definitly can hear the noise. i find it quite annoying.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, way to make a new member feel welcome.

I used to have a static type noise in the surrounds of a cheaper system. I'd say its probably normal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,

You might want to try swapping a speaker, this will help you isolate the problem. The Speaker is most likely not the issue as you state it is happening on all speakers, but will rule out the speaker(s) as the cause.

Nextm you want to make sure all your connections are snug and well fitted into their inlets. Make sure you do not have any shorting speaker wires, like between the connection poles...

check to see that your signal cables.. coax, rca whatever are not pinched.

It might even be worth while to double check what other electric devices you have close to the system... a wireless phone, a blender, a fan...

hope this helps

Robb AKA Flamemax

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Mayhap,

I've recently purchased the SC-PT860 (successor of SC-PT850, as you might have guessed) and I'm experiencing the exact same static noise problem you are describing.

Noise on all speakers, with the center speaker most notable.

I even completely disconnected the receiver unit except for the center speaker output and even then it produced static noise on the center speaker. Also I connected the receiver unit to different electrical groups in the house, but the problem persisted.

Any progress on your side?

Cyrex

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All,

I have recently bought HT860 and I have a similar problem with central speaker channel noise. I have tried to connect it to my Sony amp. and I couldn't hear any noise there. So it is definitely not a speaker problem I think Pannys amp. is faulty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've returned the unit to the Panasonic service department with an elaborate problem description.. guess what? They sent back the unit with the message: "No problems found". It was mentioned that they checked it against other SC-PT860's and found no deviations.

Returning the whole set is hardly an option because I neatly hid al the cables and mounted all the speakers to the walls.

Last time Panasonic for me... that's for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts