Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am slowly making my decisions for HDTV, and am about to make the jump. I went to antennaweb.org and based on my answers, it told me I needed a medium directional antenna. When I called a local antenna place to do the entire install (dish plus antenna) they recommended the Winegard 9095 for where I live (Manassas, VA). This seems to be a large antenna to me.

Any thoughts? Should I take their advice, or is there a better (perhaps smaller) option out there?

Thank you!

-Marc

·
Registered
241 Posts
You won't know until you hook it up but they can always take it back and get you a different one. If they stock the Wineguard antennas have them bring out a smaller size also. The Wineguards are very well built and don't need much pre-assembly.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I think you will need the Winegard 9095, plus a UHF pre-amp (4700,4800, or CM 7775) to get good reception from Manassas. You should also use RG-6 coax. Tom

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The 9095 is most definitely a large, not a medium, directional atenna. It has pretty high gain numbers, especially since Winegard rates it using the more-conservative "dipole" reference rather than the "isotropic" reference. Although it's not quite as directional is the CM 4248.

The antennaweb.org site give general guidance, and maybe the antenna place knows something about your location situation.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
239 Posts
Steve,

If you need to use a pre-amp, Channelmaster or winegard amps are a good choice. The U92 is a 300 ohm impedance antenna, so you will need a 300 to 75 ohm matching transformer to feed the pre-amps that are 75 ohm. There are 300 ohm input amps made by Channelmaster, but the best one the 7775 is 75 ohm input. Does that answer your question.

Pat

·
Registered
55 Posts
Patjoy,

Yes this does answer my question, Thanks

Steve K.

Edited for spelling (DisneyJoe7)

[This message has been edited by disneyjoe7 (edited 09-02-2001).]

·
Registered
239 Posts
Marc,I used the CA-9095 for about a year and it was, I feel, a marginal antenna. It had good gain, but was inconsistent across the UHF channels. It was no less and no more sharp than other UHF antennas I have tested since then. The problem I found with the antenna was that it had a very high vswr (internal reflections) that would cause multipath like problems with reception. I believe the driven elements (the part that actually brings the signal to the receiver)do not hold consistent impedance across the UHF band. I think this is a problem with many UHF antennas. I did find and test another antenna, which I use now that is excellent. I now use the APS U92 from Antenna Performance Specialties http://www.antennaperformance.com/new/ This antenna is by far the best designed antenna and the only one to present a new way of coupling elements to the feed line (coax). This antenna has 14 db gain referenced to a dipole (not isotropic) and is flat to 1 db across the entire UHF band. It also has a narrow vertical beam width to help reject ground reflected multi-path. I use it without pre-amp to watch stations up to 40 miles away. I am 20 miles from the Boston stations. All elements on this antenna are active and I think that this is the reason for it's ability to work well against multi-path.It only has one weakness and it is not built as well as the Winegard, but don't let that deter you from using it. So far it has held up well to the elements and seems sturdy enough.Only use a pre-amp if you find signals to weak. Don't use a pre-amp to solve multi-path problems.Good luck.Pat

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses!! I appreciate it. Based on these responses, I plan to "test" the 9095, and if that doesn't work, I will try some of the other suggestions you have given me.

Thanks,

Marc

·
Registered
630 Posts
I did not like the 9095. I have it laying in the yard. I would not waste your time. Buy a Channel Master 4248 and be done with it.

Scott

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Re: antennaweb.org I don't know what kind of game they're

playing but their advice is no good.

I tried out a whole bunch of zipcodes, covering city to rural areas, and always got about the same antenna advice.

Re: Winegard 9095 I agree with the other posters. I have

used this and junked it in favor of Channel Master 4248. It was well made, but I had problems with multipath using it.

For TV and especially HDTV virtually everyone needs big antennas:

With strong signals you want to be able to split it 4-8 ways and still not need a preamp that could overload, ideally.

With weak signals, you need a preamp, and big antenna too just to get some TV.

And for digital, virtually everyone needs some antenna length, to reject multipath.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.