AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading several recommendations for the AP-4700, I ordered one from Warren Electronics.

I must say that I am underwhelmed by the quality of this product. It is housed in a very cheap plastic case, and one of the four snaps that holds the case together was disengaged. Winegard apparently uses the same case for their combo UHF/VHF amp, because there is a gaping hole on the back where one would access the FM trap switch on a combo amp. Winegard has thoughtfully provided a paper sticker to cover this hole prior to installation.

My antenna is on a 40' mast, and it is no small task to replace the amplifier. I'm concerned that the AP-4700 is not robustly sealed and will die an early death from exposure to the elements.

Can anyone using this amp (or similar Winegard products) reassure me that, despite it's cheesy appearance, this amp will last several years for me?

Thanks,

Kit

San Diego

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Kit_C,

I have to agree with you about the case. In fact I had my system set up with Winegard preamps, and partly because of the case decided to try a Titan. What a difference. That preamp looks way more expensive.

But I am still using the Winegards on my antennas, since they just seem to work better for me. The difference is enough that I get ch 57 with a Winegard preamp, and it is not there with the Channel Master.

This may be due to better overload margins, according to other posts. I have stations at 12 miles, and at 60 miles.

Regarding the plastic, it is sure junky in comparison to metal, but I wouldn't worry about the holes too much. There have been other posts about the need for ventilation, so the circuits can stay dry.

Anyway, my Winegard preamps (2 outdoors) have lasted over a year so far.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I too noticed the gaping holes. I used clear silicon to seal thes up prior to installation. There is one round part that extends about 1/2" out with what looks like small vent holes in it. I left that one open. I don't think that you want the unit to be completely sealed, or else you might have condensation build up inside.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.