AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting basically all local digital channels great via CM 4228 antenna without preamp. Except one, KXLA 44, which fluctuates between 62-67% rapidly and sometimes drop out or pixelate.

Since I watch this channel a lot, I wanted it to improve. So I got the AP4800, hoping it would improve that channel.

Just hooked up the AP4800-->DISH 811 HD receiver. I cannot get any channels. Even channels that used to be 89-90% now read 40% and signal won't lock. When I unplug the power supply to AP4800, I get the channels back, but the KXLA is worse this way than before, maybe 60% and dropping even more.

Am I to assume the preamp is overloading my 811?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
That would probably be a safe assumption. You're going to need to pursue alternate means - and that includes COMPLETELY REMOVING the AP4800. Having a non-powered pre-amp in the OTA path is worse than a straight cable.

Question - where is your antenna located ? If it is in the attic, then the FIRST thing I would suggest is to get it out on the roof, possibly using a rotor so you can fine-tune each station as you watch it. If this isn't satisfactory, then you'll need to figure out a way to combine a channel 44 antenna with a general purpose UHF without creating more problems than you solve..

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I removed the AP4800 completely and I'm back where I started. My 4228 IS on the roof of 2-story house on a 6-foot pole.

All my transmitters are on Mt. Wilson, and 332 degrees from my house is all I need to point to. For channel 44, I did hand-rotate the antenna by a degree at a time until I got the "best" reception via cell phone to my wife.

Oh, well. I guess I could put up with the occasional dropouts. Maybe KXLA will upgrade their equipment in the futrue :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.