AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has already been asked, (and I'm sure it has) but I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread.



I am looking to buy an omnidirectional antenna, and to put it in my attic. It will be feeding 2 analog TV's. Both TV's have DTV conversion boxes. I have pretty much settled on either the Winegard MS-2000 or the Channel Master 3000A. I would like to know the pros/cons of both. Or if there is another good omnidirectional out there, that would be good to know too.


Thanks!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,721 Posts
As long as the specs of the antennae work for your situation (including post transition) you should be OK with either one. Antenna install results are very site specific.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdrumming /forum/post/15567990


I am looking to buy an omnidirectional antenna, and to put it in my attic. It will be feeding 2 analog TV's. Both TV's have DTV conversion boxes. I have pretty much settled on either the Winegard MS-2000 or the Channel Master 3000A. I would like to know the pros/cons of both. Or if there is another good omnidirectional out there, that would be good to know too.


Thanks!!

Welcome! To give you a good recommendation, I would need a little more information.


Generally the best thing to do is go to

http://tvfool.com


Click the Start Here, then put in your address. Choose Digital after Transition, unless there are low power analog you also want to watch, then choose both after transition.


Copy and paste that image here. And specify by call sign or say all the green channels being the ones you wish to receive.


This gives everyone here a much better idea how to help you choose.


My honest opinion, those are RV antennas when you need something in motion or very compromised situation.


There may well be better antennas that fit in your attic for even less money.


Piggie :mad:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! This is a copy and paste of what it gave me on the tvfool site. Yes, I would like to receive all the 'green' stations, but as many other ones as possible. Also looking to get Toronto stations if possible. I hope I did the image copy and paste right. It was my first time doing it


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdrumming /forum/post/15574684


Thanks for the replies! This is a copy and paste of what it gave me on the tvfool site. Yes, I would like to receive all the 'green' stations, but as many other ones as possible. Also looking to get Toronto stations if possible. I hope I did the image copy and paste right. It was my first time doing it

Which ones are Toronto?


With the 2 antenna you looked at I would predict (since antenna are never an exact science), you would get WNLO, WNED, WUTV.


All the rest are near, at or over that magic 40 mile mark where you need an outdoor antenna or at least in the attic.


If you want ABC, NBC and CBS, you could point an attic antenna at them. If you want the rest of the green but give up the above three you can point at the stuff at 337 degrees. An antenna able to get both will have to turn on a rotor.


Do you want to go to a rotor before I go into more suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie /forum/post/15607875


Which ones are Toronto?


With the 2 antenna you looked at I would predict (since antenna are never an exact science), you would get WNLO, WNED, WUTV.


All the rest are near, at or over that magic 40 mile mark where you need an outdoor antenna or at least in the attic.


If you want ABC, NBC and CBS, you could point an attic antenna at them. If you want the rest of the green but give up the above three you can point at the stuff at 337 degrees. An antenna able to get both will have to turn on a rotor.


Do you want to go to a rotor before I go into more suggestions?

Toronto are that strand of ones just to the left of the red N (North). I forgot to mention right now I am using an RCA amplified antenna on top of my TV (rabbit ears). It pulls in WUTV, WNED pretty good. It also pulls in (a little weaker though) WGRZ, WKBW, WNGS, WNLO, and I think one more. In total right now the converter box has scanned 13 channels, with different strengths of course. I was just curious if I got one of those multi-directional antennas (like the Winegard MS-2000) if that would be a good option as well.


Of course your suggestions on a directional antenna and rotor are appreciated. Just looking into all my options.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdrumming /forum/post/15609204


Toronto are that strand of ones just to the left of the red N (North). I forgot to mention right now I am using an RCA amplified antenna on top of my TV (rabbit ears). It pulls in WUTV, WNED pretty good. It also pulls in (a little weaker though) WGRZ, WKBW, WNGS, WNLO, .......


Of course your suggestions on a directional antenna and rotor are appreciated. Just looking into all my options.

This one is a hard call.


All the channels at 337 degrees (I think this is Toronto) is far enough away to put a beam type antenna in the attic. Then the locals (even though they are American), WNLO,WNED and WUTV are strong enough to over power an amp in the attic. You are probably fine with your amplified set top indoor antenna.


There are several scenarios that might work fine for you.


Outdoor or attic antenna that is a beam type pointed at Toronto. The Buffalo stations are so close, running enough power they should come in not pointed at them. The Buffalo stations would be strong enough up in the attic or roof to overload an amp. This means in a nutshell, it makes the amp "shut down" then it would not pick up Toronto nearly as well. So the outdoor or attic solution I would suggest not buying an amp or amplified antenna. The advantage of what I call a real antenna (not like the ones you suggested) is you can try it then try adding an amp.


What type would I try out side or in the attic? CFTO on the after transition is the only VHF you have. But and a big but, Canada is not transitioning all it's stations when we do in America. So you could find out later some Toronto station moves to VHF. I just don't know.


Lets assume CFTO is not that important.


The other problem is what you can buy across the border and what you can't. I would guess if you put up a Antennas Direct 91XG UHF Antenna which is probably the most powerful UHF out there. Reason I suggest so much antenna is putting it in the attic you loose 10 to 15 db, and you probably can't run an amplifier. Point the antenna at Toronto.


You could try an build an antenna for the attic. This one might just work.
http://uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com/


There is a version of this without the reflector on You Tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw


Without the backing reflector it would pull in Buffalo stronger but make Toronto weaker. I think if you are handy at all I would build this antenna, put in the attic, make sure it's pointed at Toronto and try it with and without a reflector. If it's not enough antenna with the reflector for Toronto then it would be obvious to spend the money on the Antennas Direct 91XG.


I really don't think spending the $75 USD range for the two you are looking at is a good idea. I do not believe they will perform anywhere near expected. They are more so made for RV use where you have to compromise your antenna. In your home you should not consider compromises.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. I would really like to hear from people and their reviews who actually own either the Winegard MS-2000, or the Channel Master 3000A.


It looks like I might be getting a Winegard MS-2000, and mounting it outside using an eave mount (End of the roof line). Of course I'm going to wait until the weather gets warmer



Also, I would like to know everything I need to buy to feed the 2 TV's off the one antenna. Right now I have 2 dual lnb dishes on the roof, and want the antenna put up as well. I have been googling, and it seems like I might need something called a diplexer. I would also like to hear from people who are feeding 2 TV's off one antenna, and their set-up.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Stay away from the Channel Master 3000A. I recently hooked on up and my old indoor antenna worked much better. I mounted the CM 3000A on a 24 foot mast pipe with 25 ft. Of coax and was not able to get any signal for any channels. I hooked up the small indoor antenna and was up and running again. I just purchased an 8 bay HDTV antenna and will install in tomorrow. I tried it out just hooking up the coax and placing it against the fence and got a great signal with channel I never received before.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top