AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help me figure out the wiring for a Winegard SquareShooter before i purchase one?

it has an amplifier that has an input and an output, but i don't have any idea how this is supposed to be wired.

i have a triple lnb dish (4 outputs) and i have a terk outdoor weatherproof 5x8 powered multiswitch. the 5th input on the multiswitch will be from the antenna.

i also assume that the antenna only has 1 output itself, so there's 1 wire that has to get from the antenna to the multiswitch. but where in the heck does this power supply go (in between)? and where does the power supply get the power from? it has to go on the outside of my house i assume.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm a little confused. attached is a diagram of how everything's setup on the outside of my house. how would an exterior amplified antenna fit into this diagram?

·
Banned
529 Posts
You can download the SS-2000 installation instructions (PDF file) from the Winegard or SolidSignal web sites. They might help you understand what needs to be done. But, fundamentally, you run long coax cable from antenna to preamp in and another cable from preamp out to receiver and plug preamp cable into power outlet.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how about in my situation where my antenna will be plugging into a multiswitch and will be coupled with the satellite signal and distributed throughout the house? do i just put the preamp in between the antenna and the multiswitch? i'm going to have to get an electrician to come out to the house to put a power outlet on my power meter that i can plug into. i don't see a way to put the antenna preamp inside the house with this whole multiswitch thing in the way. or is there a way?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Your best bet is to run 5 runs down into the house and mount the multiswitch internally then branch out your receiver runs from there so that you can mount the antenna power supply between the antenna and the switch. The power supply for the SS-2000 is NOT weatherproof so no installing it outdoors.

How far from your towers are you? Do you need a pre-amp to begin with?

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm about 20 miles out. the more i think about it, i'm thinking of putting a channelmaster 4228 in my attic. that way i don't have to worry about the whole amplifier thing. but here's my question now. if i do put a 4228 in my attic and put a preamp on it, is it okay to have the output from the preamp go down to my multiswitch that is also powered?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
That's fine but the power supply still needs to go between the multiswitch and the pre-amp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.