AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a part on Winegard's website, when I noticed a link to an antenna selector on the top of the front page.

To my surprise, it wasn't Antennaweb, but rather their own Google Maps API. You enter your street address and it gives you a Google Maps view of where your local stations are, relative to your location. For me, it didn't give results for the two distant markets, but still at cool idea.

http://ota.winegarddirect.com/

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
VERY conservative for my situation. There's no way to enter a higher altitude so that the range will be extended, which I especially need, since I'm pretty high up. I receive probably twice as many stations as they list.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
The Winegard predictor is very optimistic in my case. It seems to completely ignore the hills around here.

It lists KVCR as my strongest station, requiring only a basic antenna. I've only been able to get KVCR-DT once on my CM4228 so far, though I don't normally have it aimed over the mountain.

It's a nice thought, but it needs work.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Very optimistic about the antenna required. I wouldn't put a SS1100 or GS2200 up even on a lark. - wouldn't deal with the trees too well.

·
Registered
460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper /forum/post/12941506

Very optimistic about the antenna required. I wouldn't put a SS1100 or GS2200 up even on a lark. - wouldn't deal with the trees too well.

Considering I can get all the stations they show with an unamplified 2-bay in the attic (even the 1 for which they recommend a GS-2200), I think their suggestions are too self-serving.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Are the antenna requirements and signal strengths for digital or the analog version of the station? Either way the levels make no sense in SE CT and the antenna requirements are way too optimistic.

John

·
Registered
6,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdp /forum/post/12939968

I was looking for a part on Winegard's website, when I noticed a link to an antenna selector on the top of the front page.

To my surprise, it wasn't Antennaweb, but rather their own Google Maps API. You enter your street address and it gives you a Google Maps view of where your local stations are, relative to your location. For me, it didn't give results for the two distant markets, but still at cool idea.

http://ota.winegarddirect.com/

What a joke.....it said I could use GS2200 (Sensar Batwing) to receive a station 74 miles away,

which I've never gotten more than a nibble using CM4228 outdoors with Preamp.

It also said I could receive some stations 15 miles away which are completely blocked by a 60-ft hill

in my backyard and a 1000-ft hill beyond that. I can't even get the VHF analogs.

I'll stick to www.tvfool.com and Radio Mobile propagation predictions....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts