AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
The WinTV-D is able to tune OTA HD signals, but it only outputs 480i format. With an unsupported application/driver set it will record ATSC streams, though. I don't recall for absolute whether it tunes analog channels, but I think so. The worst news, though, is that it's no longer being supported by Hauppage.

I bought one when they were being closed out for much less than the price now being quoted. If you really want one, I'll sell mine, never opened, still in shrink-wrap, for $100 plus shipping. Send me an email.

But if I were you, I'd spring for a real HDTV card like HiPix, MyHD, etc., or if you only want to watch analog channels, there are many PVR options.

-yogaman

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
It will tune analog channels, cable or antenna and ATSC digital channels. All HD digital channels are down-converted to 480i. It is notable in the fact that it is the only ATSC PCI card that has a composite/S-Video output. Also has Dolby 5.1 channel analog outputs for the ATSC channels, no S/PDIF output. It is somewhat dScaler compatible. ATSC digital recording only works under Win98SE with specific VFW drivers. It is possible to play back HD recordings in software with full resolution, but with Win98's 4GB maximum file size, recording time is limited to about 1/2 hour.

Gary

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GaryHDTV

Also has Dolby 5.1 channel analog outputs for the ATSC channels, no S/PDIF output.
I think it only has Dolby Pro-Logic output instead of true 5.1, but I have not confirmed it.
Quote:
It is possible to play back HD recordings in software with full resolution, but with Win98's 4GB maximum file size, recording time is limited to about 1/2 hour.
A year ago I posted a batch file that lets you schedule multiple half-hour recordings, one after another. Here is a link to that post .

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
is there any way to record HD under 2k/xp or was recording something limited to with the VFD drivers?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Digital stream recording was limited to Win98/ME/VFW and was rather crude. Thanks for the link Erik. I had forgotten that technique.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The component stereo output of my WinTV-D doesn't work. (The remote control has never worked either but I don't care about that.) The sound output on the mini phone plug to the sound card works to play sound through the PC speakers but there is nothing on the L, R or center channel RCA plug outputs. I wonder if there is some way to turn this on or test it?

I'm using it in a 1500Mhz. P-4 running XP Pro with the newest W2000 drivers. I've noticed the newer software has other problems besides no sound, for instance, clicking the Radio button makes it freeze and it didn't do that in the Win98 version that I was using prior to upgrading to XP.

I've tried emailing tech support at Hauppauge several times but they aren't any help and I just get back stupid suggestions like "check that the source is in stereo"! They are all TV stations, I assume they are in stereo.

Does anyone have an idea how to get the sound working? Thanks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by programmergeek
I found the WinTV-D card for $139 does anyone have any experance with this card? is it any good? Will it accept cable and attena input?
I have a WinTV-D and I like it, besides I'm cheap. I get perfect reception (using a roof antenna) of all the Phoenix stations even though I am over 30 miles from the transmitters.

It seems to work fine to me even though others have reported poor reception. I get better reception with the WinTV-D than I do with the analog UHF signals from the same stations.

The software for W2000/XP is rather buggy but the Win98/Me version worked OK. It has two RF inputs for Antenna and Cable and the software lets you configure different groups of stations for each input but there is not much isolation between them so it doesn't work well if both are connected at the same time because of interference between them.

If I use just one of the inputs connected to an antenna it's fine on HDTV but the video is a bit snowy on analog channels compared to a normal TV.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stevec50

The sound output on the mini phone plug to the sound card works to play sound through the PC speakers but there is nothing on the L, R or center channel RCA plug outputs. I wonder if there is some way to turn this on or test it?
The RCA output jacks are for Center, Left Surround, and Right Surround. They can be enabled as follows:

Run the WinTV2000 app.

Hold down the right mouse button and select Configure / Audio...

Now you should see a window named Audio Configuration Dialog.

Click the Advanced Audio button.

Now you should see a window named Advanced Audio Settings.

In the Speaker Configuration section, select "4/5 Spkr (L,R,C,S)" to enable all audio output channels.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Quote:
I've already tried every setting. None of them do anything!
You do realize that virtually no OTA HDTV has 5.1 audio? That would account for the lack of audio on the other 3 channels.

Stereodude

·
Registered
256 Posts
Are you saying the audio output ONLY works for 5.1? Then why do they have options for all the other kinds of stereo? That should produce sound also. What is the viewer supposed to do while watching video that's only in Dolby stereo, just sit in silence the whole time?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Tried Prologic lots of times. Like I said, none of the options do anything.

The Test button only produces noise on the computer speakers.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Quote:
Are you saying the audio output ONLY works for 5.1? Then why do they have options for all the other kinds of stereo? That should produce sound also. What is the viewer supposed to do while watching video that's only in Dolby stereo, just sit in silence the whole time?
Wait, you're saying you never get any audio from any of the plugs?

Stereodude

·
Registered
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Stereodude
You do realize that virtually no OTA HDTV has 5.1 audio? That would account for the lack of audio on the other 3 channels.

Stereodude
I believe all ABC shows have 5.1 sound, which make up a great percentage of the overall amount of HDTV programming.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yes, like I said, there is sound on the mini phone jack that goes to the sound card but never anything on the L and R outputs to the stereo.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Quote:
Yes, like I said, there is sound on the mini phone jack that goes to the sound card but never anything on the L and R outputs to the stereo.
Those aren't L and R to the stereo. Those are rear left and rear right. You're supposed to you the supplied adapters to run the 1/8" stereo jack to your stereo.

Stereodude

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.