AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a WinTV-HD card with my antenna hooked up to input #1 and cable hooked up to input #2. A while ago I did a channel scan of the cable band looking for ATSC channels and found about a dozen, however when I tuned to these channels I got a blank screen. Since WGBH began broadcasting multiple sub-channels I enabled PSIP to be able to see these. Today I looked at the cable channels again and found dozens of sub-channels on each. One that I picked showed the Digital Cable Help channel that usually shows up on Digital Cable channel 999. Some have further sub-sub-channels that look like the digital music channels. I haven't had much luck with anything else. Most of the sub-channels cause my system to lock up hard, forcing a power-off.

Dave

·
Registered
196 Posts
Don't forget that the WinTV-HD card tunes both analog and digital signals at the same time. Also, your tuner may be detecting QAM (the cable modulation standard) signals, which won't work withthat card. It's only an 8VSB tuner.

Check with AT&T to see which modulation standard they are using. My guess is that it would be QAM, as just about everyone else is doing.

KC

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I think the hardware was designed to handle unencrypted QAM, if ever, but the software has not yet been written for this.

I have one of these cards and follow the boards about it and have never heard of someone getting cable QAM successfully.

Of course recently it seems I'm lucky if I can get anything on it. It seems to be going slowly south on me.

- Tom

------------------
Getting started with HTPC:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links , and
The Anti-DMCA Website .
s>
And Free Dmitri Sklyarov!s>

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure if the software is really able to handle it either. I'm just saying that I was messing around and was able to get the continuous loop help channel that they run on channel 999 --ONCE--. I was moving quickly and was not sure which channel/sub-channel I was on and the sofware locks up on most of them.

Dave

·
Registered
492 Posts
I think Kevin was thinking of the WinTV-D board.

I had been thinking of getting the TV-HD board specifically because it does have the QAM capability. Comcast will be starting HD broadcast next month using QAM256.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was messing around today and found the demo channel again. It is on channel 103.2. My WinTV-HD diagnostic info shows this for the source:

format: 4x3

res: 528x480

scan: 29.97

It is also interesting that it only seems to work in full screen mode. If I switch to windowed mode, I get a still image with sound.

Dave

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found a couple of other channels that come in.

83.4 is Cartoon Network

83.6 is NESN

Both have the same specs as above.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.