AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have been reading posts here for a while and have finally taken the HD plunge with a WinTV-HD card. After much work and configuration with my oldish Compaq (updated to 2000, updated all drivers, added memory etc...) I got the card to work and work beautifully -off cable and for regular OTA. I am in NYC and even picked up a Megawave ant. My cable is RCN and does not send any HD and I pick up analog FOX and CBS clearly. I cannot get either in HD. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or there is some special config I need to make. I would think the signal should be strong enough although I do not have direct line of sight to the Empire State bldg. I do a scan for DTV and nothing comes up. What am I missing?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
It think what balazer was trying to point out is that the WinTV-HD card is lacking when it comes to software and drivers. The HiPix has much better software and driver support. This would be the card I would buy it I didn't already have a WinTV-HD

The AccessDTV card has great software and drivers, but it also encrypts the captured HDTV data stream. This makes this card useless for software HDTV playback which will become common in the next year of two. If the AccessDTV didn't encrypt the captured data it would be hands down the best card / software solution on the market, but with the encryption it really doesn't have the long term usefulness of the HiPix or WinTV-HD.

One feature of the WinTV-HD and AccessDTV that is not currently used is that these cards are technically capable of receiving "in the clear" digital cable signals, but this feature is not implemented. Most digital cable systems use a type of modulation termed QAM which both the WinTV-HD and AccessDTV can decode (the HiPix cannot), but this could be used for cable theft unless the local cable company encrypts the digital data. I'm not sure which cable systems currently encrypt their digital channels, but it's part of the OpenCable standard and will happen someday. At that time it may be possible to use the WinTV-HD or AccessDTV card to watch free-to-air "in the clear" digital cable channels such as your local TV stations, add channels, PBS, CSPAN, etc...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.