AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I bought this tv tuner. I cannot get it to work however.

can anyone help me get this set up. here is my dmesg log

http://pastebin.ca/1794108

I have read this post at TV linux and it says that it should work out the box with karmic, my kernel is 2.6.31-17-generic

I scanned channels using this command tvtime-scanner and it found some channels here is the output

it shows channels picking up but then when I go to tv time it does not show any channels.

Code:
Code:
[email protected]:~$ tvtime-scanner
Reading configuration from /etc/tvtime/tvtime.xml
Reading configuration from /home/xbmc/.tvtime/tvtime.xml
Scanning using TV standard NTSC.
Scanning from  44.00 MHz to 958.00 MHz.
Found a channel at 176.50 MHz (176.25 - 176.50 MHz), adding to channel list.
Found a channel at 184.00 MHz (183.75 - 184.00 MHz), adding to channel list.
Found a channel at 212.00 MHz (211.75 - 212.00 MHz), adding to channel list.
Found a channel at 511.75 MHz (511.50 - 511.75 MHz), adding to channel list.
Found a channel at 514.50 MHz (514.25 - 514.50 MHz), adding to channel list.
Found a channel at 538.00 MHz (537.75 - 538.00 MHz), adding to channel list.
Found a channel at 614.25 MHz (614.00 - 614.25 MHz), adding to channel list.
Found a channel at 731.00 MHz (730.75 - 731.00 MHz), adding to channel list.
Found a channel at 766.25 MHz (766.00 - 766.25 MHz), adding to channel list.
Found a channel at 794.25 MHz (794.00 - 794.25 MHz), adding to channel list.
Found a channel at 852.25 MHz (852.00 - 852.25 MHz), adding to channel list.
Found a channel at 867.00 MHz (866.50 - 867.50 MHz), adding to channel list.
Found a channel at 868.00 MHz (867.75 - 868.00 MHz), adding to channel list.
Found a channel at 881.50 MHz (881.25 - 881.50 MHz), adding to channel list.
Found a channel at 929.25 MHz (929.00 - 929.25 MHz), adding to channel list.
Found a channel at 932.50 MHz (932.25 - 932.50 MHz), adding to channel list.
Found a channel at 939.00 MHz (938.75 - 939.00 MHz), adding to channel list.
Found a channel at 939.75 MHz (939.50 - 939.75 MHz), adding to channel list.
[email protected]:~$  - No signal
how do I configure tv time to work? it just comes up with a no signal

after I get this working I want to get the tvheadend working from this XBMC Thread

Pls help as I need help on this.

· Registered
566 Posts
Looks like everything is loading on boot. Don't know about tvtime. Haven't used it in ages. Didn't support digital (ATSC) last time I used it. Channel 3 is ntsc. Where's that coming from? Try the default movie player it supports atsc tv. Also kaffeine. Look for /dev/dvb/* to make sure the frontend registers.

[[email protected] ~]$ ls /dev/dvb/*

/dev/dvb/adapter0:

demux0 dvr0 frontend0 net0

If it's there it should work with the proper app.

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewell /forum/post/18124615

Looks like everything is loading on boot. Don't know about tvtime. Haven't used it in ages. Didn't support digital (ATSC) last time I used it. Channel 3 is ntsc. Where's that coming from? Try the default movie player it supports atsc tv. Also kaffeine. Look for /dev/dvb/* to make sure the frontend registers.

[[email protected] ~]$ ls /dev/dvb/*

/dev/dvb/adapter0:

demux0 dvr0 frontend0 net0

If it's there it should work with the proper app.

are you using one of these tv tuners? I will try kaffeine when I get home. How do I configure it to receive digital channels?

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythmaster /forum/post/18124668

If the device shows per wnewell's instruction, I'd go ahead and set up tvheadend without bothering with tvtime. I've never used it, but it looks like it scans channels for you, etc.

yes I am getting this on my log

Code:
Code:
#
[   23.467600] xc5000 0-0061: creating new instance
#
[   23.472389] xc5000: Successfully identified at address 0x61
#
[   23.472396] xc5000: Firmware has not been loaded previously
#
[   23.472970] au8522 0-0047: attaching existing instance
#
[   23.481614] xc5000 0-0061: attaching existing instance
#
[   23.487638] xc5000: Successfully identified at address 0x61
#
[   23.487644] xc5000: Firmware has not been loaded previously
#
[   23.487652] DVB: registering new adapter (au0828)
#
[   23.487660] DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (Auvitek AU8522 QAM/8VSB Frontend)...
#
[   23.488375] Registered device AU0828 [Hauppauge HVR950Q]
#
[   23.715144] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio
#
[   23.715446] usbcore: registered new interface driver au0828
Code:
Code:
#
[  206.476842] xc5000: waiting for firmware upload (dvb-fe-xc5000-1.6.114.fw)...
#
[  206.476856] usb 1-6: firmware: requesting dvb-fe-xc5000-1.6.114.fw
#
[  206.629169] xc5000: firmware read 12401 bytes.
#
[  206.629175] xc5000: firmware uploading...
#
[  213.360024] xc5000: firmware upload complete...
so it looks like the drivers are loading. Maybe I just have tv time configured incorrectly as I really have no clue on what settings I am suppose to use etc..

If I use kaffeine which source do I use??? I am in Houston, TX?

· Banned
2,107 Posts
I've never set up a tuner with kaffeine, so I can't tell you. I think that tvheadend let's you select a geographical location, though, so I'd jump right into that and google around for help if it doesn't work out-of-the-box. This is the first that I've heard of it, and I don't know of anyone here who is using it.

Verify that the frontend has loaded properly, also, like wnewell suggested by checking the output of this:

Code:
Code:
ls /dev/dvb/*

· Registered
566 Posts
OK, Kaffeine sucks. Try the movie player (formerly totem). It may work better. Personally, I wouldn't use either except for a quick test. I've got 6 atsc tuners in mine and I've been using mythtv for about 5 years and it works great. Yes, I record a lot of TV. Usually no more than about 4 shows at a time, but have recorded 6 at the same time before. I have no experience with xbmc. Mythtv does more than I need.

· Registered
1,280 Posts
Kaffeine doesn't suck. It works quite well for ATSC/dvb cards. When I originally set it up with my card, you had to create your own channels.conf file. it now has full support for dvb cards. I don't actually have this set up anymore, so I'm going on memory ( and an old post I made in the Kaffeine forums ).

To improve the picture you may have to change some settings. I originally found that pausing the playback corrected many of the flaws. I took this to mean that I needed to increase the buffer. If you need accelerated video (XvMC, vdpau) for playback, I think that you have to specify it in the settings too.

I also found that some of the HD channels had no audio. I found that these channels needed to have AC3 audio enabled under the audio PID settings. I also found that I needed to mute one of the audio inputs, but I don't remember the specifics of this.

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok I have installed tvheadend 2.10 and got the webui working. Now how do I get the channels scanned and map dvb services to channel???

the map dvb services to channel is greyed out. I read on the tvheadend site that you have to wait until all the muxes are found. how long does this take? Mine has been going for like 20 min. and nothing.

First thing I did was go to configuration and tv adapters. then I added dvb by location. I added almost all of them (was that incorrect? if so how do I change) Here are some screen shoots

General settings (how can I get the map the dvb to channels?? its greyed out?

Multiplexes

Services (shows nothing.... why?)

I cant get he channels to show up since I cant map the dvb to channels.

ok I waited all night and it scanned and now it shows the below however the dvb map to channel is still greyed out

muxes awaiting scan is at 0 and there are 0 services so what did I do wrong??

I added all the dvb sources and it did not show any services. Im confused any help.

· Registered
2 Posts
503 muxes found ... looks not correct to me.

Did you try manually adding the muxes and set automux discovery off?

I do not have access to a ATSC signal (being in Europe
) so I can not check for you.

So I would go step by step: First get a single good mux setup, and then see how to get services on that mux.

You could also drop by on #hts on freenode ...

· Registered
568 Posts
here is the documentation on tvheadend: http://www.lonelycoder.com/hts/tvhea..._10/index.html

Under section 4.6

General tab The general tab contains information and some per-adapter global configuration.

Choose: Map DVB services to channels...

Pressing this button will start a process that scans all services on all multiplexes and tries to verify if the service is actually a working TV channel. If so, the channel will be created and mapped to this service. You can start mapping services to channels once all muxes have been processed. Until then the option will be disabled.

So as it appears all 503 of your muxes have been processed. My guess is there is a driver issue with your dvb stick or something as after processing the muxes it didn't find any channels you can add.

· Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflores2323 /forum/post/18143268

how so you add muxes manually?

Yes, if you go to the multiplexes tab in the TV adapter configuration screen you can delete and add muxes.

I would suggest disabling the automux discovery first, then go to the muxes tab and remove ALL muxes. Then select the "Add Multiplex" button and fill in the details for one single Mux.

Then you can see if tvheadend discovers any services on that single Mux.

Standard process in Tvheadend is to first select a Location to use the standard linuxtv.org initial tuning files to pre-populate one or more multiplexes. Then Tvheadend will start to find other multiplexes and services on these multiplexes. Once that is finished (might take some time) then you see what service were found on the service tab.

Only then it is usefull to press the "Map Services to Channels" button. It will then go through all found services and any TV service will be tried to see if you can watch it (it tries to tune to it, and see if there is any video/audio stream, if it is encrypted it will try to decrypt it first). When you have access to the service it will map it to the channels list on the channel tab.

In your case something goes wrong already in one of the first steps. So you can also "by-pass" the "Add DVB network by location" by going directly to the multiplexes tab and add a single multiplex your self. But make sure you disable automux discovery first, or it might again tries to add 100's of "bogus" muxes.

· Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for the post.

Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.