AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been able to get this board to work properly under XP? I was hoping to replace my i/o magic board with this, but the video quality is terrible and it won't work with dscaler...I also can't get it to record sound with the video.

On the plus side, the recording quality for video is excellent, right up to the point the wintv application crashes :(

I also got to see my first ever blue screen under XP!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was sharing an IRQ with my sound card, I moved the pvr to a different slot, now it's sharing an irq with "microsoft acpi compliant system" whatever that means. I still can't record any sound...and after you record a clip and go back to just viewing tv, the view window appears to be dropping frames like no tommorrow.

so far the best thing I can say about this card is that it will co-exist with my i/o magic card so I can still watch tv.

oops, forgot to say, I'm using the s-video input from my sat. recvr.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I was going to open up a new thread, but I figured I would just post this here and see if I get a response.

I just insalled the WinTV GO card for dscaler. I am running XP with the WDM drivers. I set up dscaler to work with "newer happauge wincam (bt878)".

I am running a digital cable box into the composite input. The video has many scan lines or something like that. It looks like the macrovision example given on the dscaler web site. It looks like this for every channel. I then hooked up a dvd through the composite to see if it would look the same. It did. I have tried every type of de-interlace mode. It all has those lines.

I also tried the standard bt878 under hardware. Still the same.

Is there anything else I can try? Is there something wrong in my setup? Or is the card broken?

PIII 933 mhz, 416 RAM. CPU levels avg 12%. Hooked up to a Proscan 4x3 high resolution monitor through VGA at 800x600 60hz. Radeon 7000 with 6025 driver.

·
Registered
752 Posts
all fixed! cause: bad video cable, combined with splitter, combined with bad cable box (SA2000HD).

changed to monster cable, no splitter, SA2100. Picture looks great!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Do you get audio when watching TV?

I take it you get no audio when recording if I have info rigth.

how is the audio input conn?.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I didn't hook up the audio. I just run it straight to my reciever. I did not notice any delays. It looked/sounded perfect.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
That for Ken dkan24,

The way live video works is through a software video decoder (WinDVD). So the quality on the screen is dependant upon the MPEG format chosen. For example, MPEG1 will give lower quality than MPEG2. MPEG2 8Mbits/sec will give better quality than MPEG2 2Mbits/sec.

To display video, a VGA card with "overlay" capability must be used.

But poor video quality might come from using a non-overlay graphics card.

Recording sound with video should be automatic. Since the MPEG encoder on the board encodes both video and audio at the same time, this problem

strikes me as strange. There should be absolutely no problem in having both audio and video recorded. I they recommend a board swap if you can record video but not audio. There must be something wrong with the board.

Anyway Ken shot me an email asp.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have got the audio working, I swapped all my boards around and got the 250 on it's own IRQ, this cleaned up the video quite a bit.

the problems I have left are:

Random crashing of the wintv2000 app and

I still must manually set it to s-video each time it starts, it remembers to use ext-2 input, but it's a black and white picture until I manually select s-video.

Also, after a recording, you have to shut down the app and restart it to watch tv without dropped frames, which is kind of strange since I'm running a p4 1.6ghz.

Like I said, for watching tv, the i/o magic card with dscaler is much better, and it never crashes on me....

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Ok when you start WinTV2000 click on the CHAN button that being up the Channel Configuration box.

If you all ready have one setup remove first then do this.

1: Click on Add button click on SVideo/Composties.

2: In the box Channel Number xxx change to 0.

3: In the box Channel Name like DirecTV or what ever you want.

4: In the box Desciption something like SVideo.

5: In the box Preset xxx change it to 0.

6: In the box Video Format chosse the rigth Video Format like NTSC M for USA TV and check the box SVideo then click on Add then click on OK that all you have to do.

Try remove the drivers from the I/O magic card and take out the I/O magic card.

·
Registered
752 Posts
as far as audio goes, I am just running the composite video input into my card. Not cable into the tuner. So there is no audio in the equation at all. If I want to record anything, then I oculd jyst run audio into it, but that is not my main concern at this point.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
As for your problem dkan24

Can post a screen shot of it or sent it to me.

Try pop off AVI dose it still show up in the AVI recording?.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ken,

I'm learning about various caputre cards and methods.

Why do you have both the i/o magic card and the WinTV 250? What do you expect out of one vs. the other?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Why I say take out the I/O magic card is eazy Want1394 WinTV2000 is the the same App that use on all there TV card which can also be use with the plane jane BT8xx drv that I/O magic have and if I'am rigth I beat WinTV2000 is see two card which not good idea to do.

Two TV tuners in one system have always caused problems, and I would suspect that this is true here.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Because I don't use a tv tuner, everything comes in on s-video.

The wintv 250 has a couple of problems when just watching tv: Dscaler won't use it, and you can't turn off it's buffering so you end up with a delay between the video and sound. I'm still debating whether or not to keep the 250, it does seem to make good captures, and most importantly, it will capture audio at 48khz so I don't have to re-encode just for that....

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
You can't count Dscaler after all it made for BT8xx chipset, (delay between the video and sound) is in both record and perview?.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The delay is because I have the toslink output of my sat recvr going straight into my stereo, since I have yet to figure out a way to turn off the buffering that the 250 is doing, I get a delay w/ audio ahead of video. If I run the sat. signal through the tuner there is no delay because then, sound is coming from the HTPC. I don't get this problem w/ the bt878 card because dscaler isn't trying to buffer anything.

My timed recordings came out fine, even though the picture in the wintv2k application was locked up when I got home, the recording itself was fine.

I count dscaler because I bought the 250 thinking it had a BT8x8 chip and the 350 did not, I was disappointed to find out I was wrong...

Another surprise is that when viewing tv (not recording) w/ the wintv2k app, I still run ~40% cpu utilization on a P4 1.6GHZ????

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.