AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the advantages and disadvantages for going either way?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody has an answer?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm new here as well, but I think the big advantage of going with a windows based HTPC is the SW and HW developed for this platform. You can get a sense of this by just going from here to the Linux room.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Software and Drivers are generally more available for Windows.

Tweakability and hackabiltiy is of course better for LInux. if you know what you are doing :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would highly reccomend going with SUSE linux as your platform.

There is plenty of software available for you. Which is typically opensource. Which means you dont have to wait for microsoft to make a patch. Anyone can write one and everyone can test it.

When it comes to hardware available, linux will run on anything. Heck it will run on your coffeemaker. In fact, Tivo does use the linux kernel to do the job. So does sony's PS2 and many more to come.

The future is definately in the linux arena.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would have loved to go with Linux, but I wanted HDTV functionality, and, well... it just ain't there yet. Actually, it's barely there for XP, but at least two minor vendors, the MyHD and Fusion folks, support Bill Gate's baby. Linus doesn't seem to have as much pull. And as much as I have enjoyed tinkering with Linux from time to time, I must say the Redmond boys have finally gotten it straight with XP. It is a very usable OS, and I have been very happy using it on my HTPC.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The ONLY thing keeping me from Linux is OTA HD (ADTV).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.