AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any information on these? I was just browsing around and came across systems at both Dell and Gateway. Apparently MS is only selling the OS to OEM's because their worried the average joe won't be able to figure out how to make everything work and MS will get a bad rep(they are probably right). Anyway, I've been toying around with doing an HTPC and would be interested in what you guys think of buying a setup from Dell or Gateway (looks about like $1500 give or take $500).

Thanks in advance for the input!

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Naah...No M$ no Gateway no Dell could build HTPC's better than people on this forum...Those PC's are for the rich and stupid, so they can show it to their golf partners...

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've seen those as well, but never up close & personal. I have, however, had the unfortunate experience of owning a couple of Compaqs & an HP, & after building our last 3 computers (including the HTPC that I'm typing this on right now) I will NEVER go back. Based on that I think that there would be difficulties (to say the least) with buying one of these setups, the main one being that all of these companies (HP, Dell, Gateway, etc.) make their systems proprietary to the point that if you want to upgrade/change out components down the road, compatibility issues can really hamstring your goals.

You really would be better off to do your research & build one yourself. It will take more time & effort, but will pay off in spades when it's done.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm not going to bad mouth any of the big computer makers, but I would have to agree with most of the other's sentiments. You can certainly get a better price on an HTPC by having one built to your specs. I just finished going through the process of comparing Dell, Gateway, and HP HTPC-type systems. I ended up finding a company that would build exactly what I want, for less of a price than one of the above three makers.

I don't know if the link rules allow me to specify from whom I'm purchasing, so I'll tell you in a round-about manner. My starting point was a Coolermaster case that I thought would be perfect in my entertainment center. From there, I went to the CoolermasterUSA site and found links to their e-tailer's estores. A few of their resellers will build HTPC's, and I was fortunate enough to find one that was located here in Houston, has very good Yahoo Shopping ratings, and had very competitive prices to boot (and a hint on their name is Dir******n).

I actually just placed my order yesterday and hope to pick it up tomorrow, so my final attitiude could still change -- but I am getting exactly what I want for a good price. Of course, if you order a "stock" system from one of the biggies, you are fairly assured that it will at least work properly out of the box.

Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.