AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a yamaha HTR 6230 rated to handle 6ohms on all 5 channels. I would like to hook up wharfedale moviestar 70+ 5.1 channel speakers rated at 4 ohms.

I am aware that I could do a series wiring of two similar 4ohms speakers to get 8 ohms. However my doubt is about the centre channel speakers. This speaker has 2 bass units (2x 100mm - 90db, 10-100 watts power handling) also rated at 4 ohms. Can I connect one of the rear channel speakers (1x100m - 88bd, 10-100 watts power handling, 4 ohms) in series to the center channel or is it only possible to connect to similar types of speakers in a series. Is there any disadvantage in doing so?

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

what speakers are you planning on "connecting in series" and then expect to get "the correct channel" through each speaker?

the short answer is, no, you can't just randomly connect speakers in series and expect to get the "correct" sound out of the system... your "audio theory" is correct (in terms of how to increase/decrease resistance), but it's not going to do you any good...

hook them up "as it was designed" to be hooked up... either the avr will drive the speakers or it won't... if it won't, you will know, because it will go into protection or it will clip....

·
Registered
997 Posts
My Denon 3808ci would shut-down when I cranked it with my Dali Ikon7's. They are 6ohms. Yours will probably too. I ended up buying an emotiva XPA-5 amp. It has been a great purchase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its a wharfedale 5.1 speaker system(Attached spec sheet). The front and rear speakers (which i'll refer to as satellites) have a tweeter and a bass unit (woofer) each and the centre channel has 2 bass units and a tweeter. All are rated at 4 ohms. The problem i'm facing is my yamaha amp is rated at minimum 6 ohms. So If I directly connect all the speakers to the individual ports on the amp, there would be a strain on the amp owing to the lower impedence rating of these 4 ohm speakers.

Hence, a series connection i.e. two satelittes for front left and two for front right would make the load on the front channel port of the amp at 8ohms. And for the center channel, I plan to connect another satellite (an extra that I have) in a series to the centre channel port of the amp. This would again bring down the load to 4ohms on that port.

My doubt is whether can I do a series connection between a satellite (that has only 1 bass unit and a tweeter) to a center channel (that has 2 bass units and a tweeter). Will the power to each of these speaker be equally divided or not. Will is damage the speaker or amp in any way.

I am stuck with this combo of amp and speakers until I get some money to upgrade. So I was looking for some way to get these running without damaging either of them. I am a novice (as you might have already figured) so please excuse me if my explanation gave you a headache
. I have attached specs and pics of the speakers and Amp. Appreciate your reply.

YHT-292_IM.pdf 29.744140625k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

take this the "right" way... as it's not meant as a shot...

i'm sorry, but that's so far out there, i don't even know where to start explaining to you why this isn't going to be a good idea... let's leave it at this... no, it's not going to buy you anything, and will only make things worse...

just hook it up 5.1, no attempting to hook up speakers in series, no nothing... turn it on... play music/movie... if the avr won't handle it, it will tell you... it will either clip the speakers or shutdown (or both)...

at which point, you have two choices:

- get easier to drive speakers...

- supply the ones you have with more power...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hooked the speakers on and played it at normal listening volume. The Amp didn't clip the speakers nor did it shut down. However, after 30 mins I noticed white liquid oozing from around the capacitors. The Amp still works but what does this mean? Will I have to take it in for service?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took the amp to Yamaha. They said that the white stuff was a glue that kept the capacitors in place...phew (big relief!!).. and they also informed me that I would place the 4ohm speakers at around 60% volume beyond which amp's circuit protection stuff kicks in and shut's down the amp. 60% is way too much for an apartment anyways!! "ccotenj" & Dr. Mark, thanks for your inputs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts