AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need about 200ft of bulk Monster Cable on a spool to wire my speakers for my HT... I also need a 30ft DVI-HDMI cable, and a 30ft component cable...

Where should I look?

I found 25ft DVI-HDMI cable on the internet from some computer company... it was $57 bucks for the cable... something tells me I might want to consider paying a little more money for the cable which will be carrying ALL of my video signals to the projector...

Suggestions?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
I need about 200ft of bulk Monster Cable on a spool to wire my speakers for my HT... I also need a 30ft DVI-HDMI cable, and a 30ft component cable...

Where should I look?

I found 25ft DVI-HDMI cable on the internet from some computer company... it was $57 bucks for the cable... something tells me I might want to consider paying a little more money for the cable which will be carrying ALL of my video signals to the projector...

Suggestions?
The ten meter version of the Ultralink HDMI Platinum Pro cable with a DVI adapter is the best copper solution (supports 1080p whereas at this distance most any other copper cable won't).

For component, Blue Jeans Cable, http://www.bluejeanscable.com , has a very good cable, the Belden 7710A, which is highly recommended.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You guys are killing me!

Crap!

Now I find that DVI comes in DVI-D and DVI-I!

The diff being that DVI-I has 2 pins above and 2 pins below the flat pin on the DVI-male connector.

The Sharp-XVZ2000 projector i'm getting supports DVI-I, I'm putting a sheetrock ceiling in the basement and not a drop ceiling... its gonna be a PITA to pull the old cable out through all the floor trusses in future if I want to switch out the cables...

So, my pref would be to put a DVI-I to HDMI cable in to start....

Who's got them?

I dont care to spend $250 bucks for a cable, but bettercables.com and bluejeans only has DVI-D to HDMI cables...

Does anyone have DVI-I to HDMI cables available?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Simply stated there are no DVI-I to HDMI cables (HDMI doesn't support analog signals) so it would require a transcoder rather then a cable and would only work if the DVI-I was on the source rather then the display side). Do you have any DVI-A sources presently? I'm pretty sure you'll be safe with HDMI to DVI-D.

I would also suggest running conduit as Super Duper Cable will come out before too long, and conduit will make things much easier in the long run. If you don't run conduit, then I think you would be best off buying an HDMI cable and using a DVI-D adapter.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
I need about 200ft of bulk Monster Cable on a spool to wire my speakers...
What's this? Are we now using "Monster cable" as a synonym for "speaker cable"? like we use "Kleenex" to mean "facial tissue"? (Interesting, too, how you'll specify the brand, but not the rating or size.)

If you want value, the Monster brand as a rule does not deliver it.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Check out bulk places like westlake-electronic.com for bulk speaker cable (Note: It's absolutely not Monster cable, so you won't be throwing your money away).

I also second the BlueJeansCable.com recommendation for component and DVI/HDMI cables.

Also, japanesegeek is right that there's no benefit from DVI-IHDMI vs DVI-DHDMI.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I just got 500 feet of Belden 5T00UP, its 10 gauge, high stranded speaker cable and is like $0.22/ft at www.westlake-electronics.com

Also check out www.cablesforless.com for your DVI needs, Also what I'd recomend is get a HDMI cable in the length you need, then just get HDMI to DVI adapters, you will be able to get the longer length in HDMI easier and it will hold a better quality signal at those lengths, or so says the reviews I've seen.

- Josh

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Also since your puttin in a sheet rocked ceiling you can easily put in a counduit so that you can change our your cabling with ease.

- Josh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.