AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Group,

I have benefited significantly (and saved many hours) thanks to the many tips that other people have put up, so I figured I'd put up a tip that saved me hours (and lots of frustration) last night.

Issue: I had to fish speaker wire through a recessed ceiling and down into a wall. For the life of me, I could get my snake to a point where I could reach it or get it to appear anywhere useful.

Solution: I was able to drop a weighted line (kite line with washer on end) into the wall, then I taped an $18 endoscope onto the end of a wire coat hanger (which I had bent a hook at the end). Using the endoscope, I was able to track down the line and pull it through a 1/2" hole (which is where the speaker wire will come out for the speaker). Then, I pulled the speaker wire through the wall up into the ceiling.

Here's my laptop with the endoscope/wire hanger setup:

Here's where I was fishing:

One last tip: Make sure you align the endoscope horizon. When I first attempted this, the endoscope was at an angle that made "steering" the scope difficult. Once I re-aligned the scope so that the laptop display matched the positioning of the scope, it was easy to steer.

I hope this was helpful !

Ward

·
Registered
6,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldred  /t/1519743/wire-fishing-tip/0_100#post_24406170

Hi Group,

I have benefited significantly (and saved many hours) thanks to the many tips that other people have put up, so I figured I'd put up a tip that saved me hours (and lots of frustration) last night.

Issue: I had to fish speaker wire through a recessed ceiling and down into a wall. For the life of me, I could get my snake to a point where I could reach it or get it to appear anywhere useful.

Solution: I was able to drop a weighted line (kite line with washer on end) into the wall, then I taped an $18 endoscope onto the end of a wire coat hanger (which I had bent a hook at the end). Using the endoscope, I was able to track down the line and pull it through a 1/2" hole (which is where the speaker wire will come out for the speaker). Then, I pulled the speaker wire through the wall up into the ceiling.

Ward

The biggest tip you could provide is where to get the $18 endoscope??????

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes  /t/1519743/wire-fishing-tip#post_24406536

The biggest tip you could provide is where to get the $18 endoscope??????

Hi Airscapes,

I picked it up off eBay:

2/5/7/10m USB Waterproof Borescope Endoscope Inspection Snake Tube Camera New

HTH,

Ward

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
Thanks Ward!!

So how well does this camera work, and is the 5M long enough for most thing considering the brightness control is in the center of the cable. I suppose 2.5m of usable length would be enough for most things.. however the 7m is only $5 more with the light control at the USB end.

Wish the head was thinner and shorter.. but for $25 one can't complain if it works well!

Again, how is the performance, obviously it is not as convenient as a stand alone unit with screen attached, however I think I like the fact you have a real screen (your laptop) rather than a low res hand held.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
The old fashioned way to do that is with a ball chain and magnet.

Stud bay is narrow. Put the magnet on the end of a coathanger, and swing it back and forth, behind the drywall, to catch the chain.

I think you could have saved some steps just using fiberglass rods. They're flexible enough to make that 90 degree bend from the soffit, into the wall. Grabbing it, though, from a half inch cutout might be tough. Going up the wall with the rods, or fish tape, might be the solution to that.

Of course, cool toy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes  /t/1519743/wire-fishing-tip#post_24406899

Thanks Ward!!

So how well does this camera work, and is the 5M long enough for most thing considering the brightness control is in the center of the cable. I suppose 2.5m of usable length would be enough for most things.. however the 7m is only $5 more with the light control at the USB end.

Wish the head was thinner and shorter.. but for $25 one can't complain if it works well!

Again, how is the performance, obviously it is not as convenient as a stand alone unit with screen attached, however I think I like the fact you have a real screen (your laptop) rather than a low res hand held.

Hi Doug,

I just realized that I have the 7M unit, so I guess I should update the cost to $23.65 (just confirmed my eBay bill). The adjustable light is useful but, inside the wall, I left it on full because of the darkness. I'll take a few pictures when I put the next speaker in later tonight. The picture is good enough to work with as I needed it to find the kite string.

Ward

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
One thing I am confused about .. how stiff it the cable? Most of the short hand held devices have a goose neck type thing that is about 3 ft long and stiff yet bendable. This looks like a usb wire with a camera on the end that would not be very easy to control in the wall unless you tape it to a wire or something.. is that how it is?

As you can see, I really want one and am probably really expecting more than I should from $25!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes  /t/1519743/wire-fishing-tip#post_24407340

One thing I am confused about .. how stiff it the cable? Most of the short hand held devices have a goose neck type thing that is about 3 ft long and stiff yet bendable. This looks like a usb wire with a camera on the end that would not be very easy to control in the wall unless you tape it to a wire or something.. is that how it is?

As you can see, I really want one and am probably really expecting more than I should from $25!

Hi Doug,

On a scale of 1 (no stiffness) to 10 (stiff as a steel rod), this is probably a 3. I did capture some video which I'll try and post tomorrow. To look around, I pushed the scope through the hole and it pointed towards the floor. Then, I twisted the cable and it would spin around so I could see the studs (sides) of the inside of the wall.

Ward

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I was doing something similar but wanting to fish the wires to each side of the soffit. It took hours of messing around and swearing.

I decided when I have a son and he misbehaves, his punishment will be to re-fish those wires. That'll teach him!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldred  /t/1519743/wire-fishing-tip#post_24407311

Hi Doug,

I'll take a few pictures when I put the next speaker in later tonight.

Interesting - the program isn't amazing, but it's good enough. I did capture video that I was going to post to YouTube, but here are a few snaps. All-in-all, I'm impressed. Again, I paid a whopping $23.65 for this camera.

Here's an interesting one - I had to go into 1 wall, down about 6", and out the back wall. I put the scope in the back wall hole so I could guide my coat hanger through. At this point, I was just about to push the scope out of the wall with the hanger so I could tape the cable on and pull it through:

Here's sheet rock coming between a 2x4 and the stairs:

Here's going into the wall with the speaker mount:

Here's my arm

HTH,

Ward

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
Sold! Looks great, would have saved me some aggravation in the past when there were cross braces between studs.. thanks so much for taking the time to post the pictures. It says it is water prof always wanted to scope the main sewer drain.. think I will order a second one if the first works out.. one for plumbing and one for everything else!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Would the camera work in the dark. It would be great for lobster catching. Many times, we pulled the net up and wasted the energy and found no lobster.

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
it has 4 tiny led lights.. It needs a laptop to be plugged into.. So if you have the pot just out of the water, (don't think it would work in the water unless it is crystal clear) and fasten the camera to a pole, I guess it would work, why not? I saw no specs on waterproof depth so keep that in mind. Not going to light up the night either .. don't think they are that bright but depending on the size of your traps I would think it would work fine to check a pot from the deck. Mine should be here in a few days, will post a review and keep your question in mind. Remember this is cheap china crap, if it works for the job you buy it for you got your moneys worth.. don't expect it to last forever.. If you google it you will find you can order them in lots of up to 10,000 units.

Can you take a picture of the pot in the location where you would be checking it and post it?

·
Registered
749 Posts
This looks useful and I want to get one.

I was looking to get the Milwaukee but it is $130 for just the tool no batteries.

the camera is 10mm vs Milwaukee 9mm so it is comparable, but your pictures are much more focused and wider angle. And this is 7M vs Milwaukee 1M. (3' length). I heard the Milwaukee is blurry until you get really close.

I was thinking of drilling a hole in the ceiling and then take a look, compared to the usual "L shape" coat hanger sweep.

I suppose it will not be stiff enough, but it wouldn't be hard to tape it onto the L shape coat hanger then sweep around 360 degrees?

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
It is worth what they charge but not much more. Don't bother with the real long one, it is a pain and not needed.. It is worth having in your tool box but it is not what you are hoping it is..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts